The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation

Guest liz

Quick question. We have a president of a club whos term doesnt end till next week, Jan. 16th. He has been elected at a different club and their taking of office is today Jan.9th. It clearly states in the by laws of the new club that he can not be president of 2 clubs at once. my question is he is going to try the i resigned card at the other club, but for him to resign doesnt he have to do so infront of a general assembly so that the vp can be assigned to the presidents duties?

Quick question. We have a president of a club whos term doesnt end till next week, Jan. 16th. He has been elected at a different club and their taking of office is today Jan.9th. It clearly states in the by laws of the new club that he can not be president of 2 clubs at once. my question is he is going to try the i resigned card at the other club, but for him to resign doesnt he have to do so infront of a general assembly so that the vp can be assigned to the presidents duties?

No. Nothing in RONR requires a resignation to be delivered in person. The acceptance of a resignation, on the other hand, is done as a formal motion by the body empowered to excuse the person from the duty they are resigning from.

At that moment, the VP becomes president and a vacancy then exists in the office of Vice President, unless, of course, your bylaws have some other rules for presidential succession. No motion to assign duties to the VP (or vice versa) is necessary or appropriate.

Archived