The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Word for Non-Voting Committee Member

Guest Guest - Heather

Guest Guest - Heather

What is the word or phrase, possibly Latin, to describe a non-voting Committee member? On our Audit/Finance Committee we are inviting a representative from local county government to participate in the Audit/Finance meetings. This person would not be a member of our full Board. What is the word for this committee member?

What is the word or phrase, possibly Latin, to describe a non-voting Committee member? On our Audit/Finance Committee we are inviting a representative from local county government to participate in the Audit/Finance meetings. This person would not be a member of our full Board. What is the word for this committee member?

You would call that person a non-voting Committee member (or whatever term the bylaws give that person. There is no Latin term in RONR that describes what you are talking about.

I would bet a nickel that you are thinking of the term "ex officio". However, if I'm right, then you don't understand the meaning of that term. It means roughly "due to the office" that a person holds. For example, the president is often an ex officio member of most committees--not because he was appointed to them, but due to the office of president which he holds.

But the point is that an ex-officio member does NOT mean non-member. It means a full member, just for a different reason. It is a common misconception that ex-officio means non-voting, but that is--well, a misconception.

For more information, read this: FAQ #2.

Guest Heather - Guest

I would bet a nickel that you are thinking of the term "ex officio". However, if I'm right, then you don't understand the meaning of that term. It means roughly "due to the office" that a person holds. For example, the president is often an ex officio member of most committees--not because he was appointed to them, but due to the office of president which he holds.

But the point is that an ex-officio member does NOT mean non-member. It means a full member, just for a different reason. It is a common misconception that ex-officio means non-voting, but that is--well, a misconception.

For more information, read this: FAQ #2.

I understand the meaning of the term ex-officio and see that there is a bit of a mis-match in using that term to define this particular committee member. I think I will refer to them in the minutes as a non-voting Committee member.

I understand the meaning of the term ex-officio and see that there is a bit of a mis-match in using that term to define this particular committee member. I think I will refer to them in the minutes as a non-voting Committee member.

Yep, nothing wrong with English, especially if it helps keep the meaning clear. But it might interest you to know that we often get a question here as to whether a person who is a non-voting member may speak in debate and move or second motions. It would be good if you made your intentions clear on that point as well, because we often have to tell them to ask whoever wrote that rule for their society.

I think I will refer to them in the minutes as a non-voting Committee member.

Why not refer to him as a guest (if you refer to him at all)? That way you avoid the whole "non-voting member" issue. But there's no need to mention him in the minutes (nor is there usually any need for a committee to prepare minutes in the first place).

Archived