The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to table a vote

mistyone

If a motion that would require one persons critical vote to pass is tabled until the next meeting and only 10 out of 12 was there to vote. Does the Chairman have the right to re-vote on the same issue when all 12 persons are there at the next meeting or is the vote only for the individual to whom was tabled?

All members who are there when the question is put has a right to vote on the question.

what exactly are you "tabling"? You surely cannot mean that the vote came out a way that some don't like, so you "table" the counting of votes until you can get an additional vote? You counted the votes to find out the unfavorable outcome! Or are you "extending" the voting period because of the unfavorable outcome? None of these sound legit at all.

There was a vote, it seems, with the people there, and the motion failed to pass. Then that's it. It failed. It doesn't get "tabled" until you can get more votes in favor.

what exactly are you "tabling"? You surely cannot mean that the vote came out a way that some don't like, so you "table" the counting of votes until you can get an additional vote? You counted the votes to find out the unfavorable outcome! Or are you "extending" the voting period because of the unfavorable outcome? None of these sound legit at all.

There was a vote, it seems, with the people there, and the motion failed to pass. Then that's it. It failed. It doesn't get "tabled" until you can get more votes in favor.

They didn't like the way I was going to vote and wanted me to discuss it in the next meeting. I had decided to against changes in our amendment originally and now I'm hearing that the President wants to have a new vote because 2 other persons who did not vote originally will vote in favor. I don't think this is legit.

They didn't like the way I was going to vote and wanted me to discuss it in the next meeting. I had decided to against changes in our amendment originally and now I'm hearing that the President wants to have a new vote because 2 other persons who did not vote originally will vote in favor. I don't think this is legit.

Look, there either was a vote or there was not. Did they not like the way you were going to vote, or the way you actually did vote? And how can you have a "new" vote if you never had the old one? Did they stop the voting half way through?

And by any wild chance, did anyone who didn't think it was legit happen to raise a point of order at the time? Because it's too late to do so now.

Your process seems so messed up at this point that it may not be possible to determine what state the motion is in. Voting again may be the only way to figure it out, since none of us were there, and it's difficult to get an idea of what happened from your descriptions alone.

If a motion that would require one persons critical vote to pass is tabled until the next meeting and only 10 out of 12 was there to vote. Does the Chairman have the right to re-vote on the same issue when all 12 persons are there at the next meeting or is the vote only for the individual to whom was tabled?

There are a number of details missing here, so it's hard to give precise answers. For instance, was there in fact a vote? Did the chair announce the results? Which individual got tabled? Has he gotten off the table yet? (okay, those last two were not really pertinent).

If proper procedure was followed (not that it sounds like it was to any great extent), and the motion did not pass, and the chair announced the result as such, the motion can be Renewed (that is, moved again) at the next meeting by any member who wishes to make the motion. Whoever is in attendance may vote, whether they were at the previous meeting or not.

Typically, and generically, the chair may vote under three usual conditions: 1) if his vote would affect the result, 2) if voting is by ballot, and 3) if in a small board meeting (of about a dozen or fewer in attendance), subject to rule or custom of the organization, which should be uniformly followed.

The tabling of the motion was clearly not proper, and it (along with of the other nonsense that apparently took place, indicates some review of RONR is in order for the Chair.

Archived