The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vacate motion ?

Guest vinnie

I am the president of a fire dept. At the last general membership meeting a motion was made and carried. Our by-laws provide that ONLY active members are permitted to vote. On the assembly floor of our meeting we also allow and encourage "Junior Members", and "Probationary Members" to attend. These members have not yet succeded to active status. It has come to my attention that the vote count included votes of these ineligable members. Is it appropriate to somehow vacate this motion, or do I have to ask for a two thirds move to annul?

I am the president of a fire dept. At the last general membership meeting a motion was made and carried. Our by-laws provide that ONLY active members are permitted to vote. On the assembly floor of our meeting we also allow and encourage "Junior Members", and "Probationary Members" to attend. These members have not yet succeded to active status. It has come to my attention that the vote count included votes of these ineligable members. Is it appropriate to somehow vacate this motion, or do I have to ask for a two thirds move to annul?

Was the vote close enough that those illegal votes could have affected the result? If so, then the vote was null and void and needs to be taken again. If not, just don't do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived