The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Running for a new position

Guest Renee

Do you have to resign from a position currently held in order to run for a new position?  For example, I'm currently the secretary and want to run for treasury.  Do I have to resign as secretary in order to run for treasury or can I keep my current position while running and if I'm not elected remain the secretary? The position of secretary is not up for re-election right now. 

Do you have to resign from a position currently held in order to run for a new position? 

No. In fact, nothing in RONR says that you can't hold both offices at the same time (though your bylaws, or your customs, might). I suspect there are many small organizations (I know of one) in which the same person serves as both secretary and treasurer (and some organizations which have the single position of secretary-treasurer).

You do not need to resign in order to run for another position, and although there are a few situations where hold two positions (i.e. President-Secretary, or President-Vice President) is not ideal, there is nothing wrong with holding two positions at the same time.  And in some organizations, the positions of Secretary and Treasurer are combined anyway.

No. In fact, nothing in RONR says that you can't hold both offices at the same time (though your bylaws, or your customs, might). I suspect there are many small organizations (I know of one) in which the same person serves as both secretary and treasurer (and some organizations which have the single position of secretary-treasurer).

I know of a pretty large (200,000 member) organization that has a "Secretary/Treasurer" position.

Archived