The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New position?

Guest Sheila Velazquez

Guest Sheila Velazquez

I am a former president of a tenants' association for a senior housing development. The new president is overwhelmed because the other two board members are incapable of performing their duties adequately. It is partly age and physical issues and partly inability to understand and act on the issues we need to resolve with local and state regulators. The president is begging for help on these more complex issues.

I would be willing to be involved in some sort of capacity, but am wondering how that could be done. Could there be such a thing as a board advisor or something similar that would legally allow me to help and sit in on board meetings, both internal and external?

Thanks in advance.

I would be willing to be involved in some sort of capacity, but am wondering how that could be done. Could there be such a thing as a board advisor or something similar that would legally allow me to help and sit in on board meetings, both internal and external?

If the new president wants your help, there's no need to change the rules. Just help. As for attending board meetings, that's up to the board.

In other words, you don't need an official "legal" "capacity". Just get together with the new president over a couple of beers.

As far as RONR is concerned there is nothing stopping the Board from allowing you to attend their meetings, speak in debate, and do anything else the Board members can do (with the exception of voting).  However, check the bylaws to make sure they don't put limits on what the Board can authorize non-Board members to do.

Archived