The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Approval of CEO contract

Guest Cathy

Our board must approve the renewal of the contract for our organization's chief executive officer.  This individual - and staff - regularly attend the board meetings.  Would it be inappropriate to ask them to leave the meeting during the discussion of the contract renewal.  (The board motion will be to approve the recommend of the Personnel Committee to renew the contract.)

Our board must approve the renewal of the contract for our organization's chief executive officer.  This individual - and staff - regularly attend the board meetings.  Would it be inappropriate to ask them to leave the meeting during the discussion of the contract renewal.  (The board motion will be to approve the recommend of the Personnel Committee to renew the contract.)

Check your bylaws carefully. Sometimes the bylaws give particular executive officers partial or limited membership rights. If your bylaws do so, and your CEO has a right to attend, then it would be inappropriate.

Check your bylaws carefully. Sometimes the bylaws give particular executive officers partial or limited membership rights. If your bylaws do so, and your CEO has a right to attend, then it would be inappropriate.

It would not be inappropriate to ask them to recuse themselves. If they have a right to attend, they do not have to follow a request to leave.

Thank you all so much for responding so quickly! The President (CEO) is considered a member of our Executive Committee of the Board, but not technically a member of the Board itself, if I am reading the Constitution correctly!

From our governing documents: Board of Directors – The policy making body...shall be the Board of Directors.

A. Members –The Board shall consist of...members who serve as a director by filling out and submitting a signed petition...

Section 3. Executive Committee – The Executive Committee of the Board of Directors makes decisions and policies governing the administration and management of...activities...

A. Executive Committee Members – The Executive Committee shall consist of a core group including the Elected Officers, the President, and Immediate Past Chairman. Others may be required as defined in the Bylaws (there aren't any others so defined)

Section 4. President – ...activities shall be directed and administered by the...President who is appointed by the Executive Committee subject to approval of the Board of Directors.

A. Authority – Using the PPM as a guide the President administers operating policies and reports progress and provides guidance to the

Executive Committee and Board of Directors.

So knowing that, can we ask him (and other staff) to step our during the discussion? IF asked, does he have to leave?

Thank you all so much for responding so quickly! ...

Thank you for asking.  This is what we do for fun.  Look at this site on a Saturday night, are we out disco dancing?  (Wups, that's what we did in the '70's.  Maybe I mean "mosh pit" currently.)  (Wups, "mosh pit" is maybe '90's.  Who knows what we do on Saturday nights here at the turn of the 21st Century.  I read that we go to clubs and stand there looking at our SmartPhones (Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.) and whisking our index fingers back and forth over them. Good hevvins.)

... The President (CEO) is considered a member of our Executive Committee of the Board, but not technically a member of the Board itself, if I am reading the Constitution correctly!...

A. Executive Committee Members – The Executive Committee shall consist of a core group including the Elected Officers, the President,...

Section 4. President – ...activities shall be directed and administered by the...President who is appointed by the Executive Committee subject to approval of the Board of Directors...

So knowing that, can we ask him (and other staff) to step our during the discussion? IF asked, does he have to leave?

It's excerpts like this that make me glad that we on this, The World's Premiere Parliamentary Internet Forum, are not supposed to interpret individual organizations' bylaws over the Internet (and on this website specifically) and so we often refrain.

So, please, Cathy.  Is the President defined as the CEO anywhere in your documents, explicly? -- or vice versa?  Are the members of the Executive Committee anywhere specifically designated members of the Board also?  (That's the usual arrangement, and by definition -- but it seems your organization has it somehow different.)

The bottom line is the general case that everyone who is a member of the group that is meeting has a right -- and somewhat an obligation -- to attend its meetings.  So, is this President / CEO a member of the board?  That's your question.

Um, but to be a bit finicky.  To answer your question specifically:  of course you can ask him to step out.  By the same token, he can ask you to step out.  You can ask for the keys to my silver Porsche while you're at it.  You can ask for anything -- this is not a parliamentary-precedure question.  If you ask him to step out nicely and persuasively enough, he might cheerily step out just to oblige you.  Same goes for the keys to my silver Porsche.  But don't bet the rent money on it.  You'd do better to ask me out to a disco party.  Heck, I need the excercise.  And somewhere else to go on a Saturday night.  Maybe this decade.

Yep, that's my question. And no, it is not so explicitly spelled out. I guess I was hoping for a nice clean parliamentary answer. We think it is the right thing to do, and think that he will when asked...just wanted to know if there was anything to hang our hat on giving us "permission" to do so. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response....now about those keys....

Archived