The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No Agenda, Motion Voting

Guest Kim

I have been following this conservation. I have a question for Mr. Daniel H. Honemann! I thought the order of business prescribed in RONR, page 353, ll. 10-15 was the prescribed order of business for those organizations who have adopted RONR and have not adopted a special order of business. Please clarify whether in your opinion I have incorrectly interpreted what is written there.

You seem to be stating above something different.

>> You seem to be stating something different.

This is an opportunity!

Without giving away the answer, let me ask you this:

Q. What is the difference between a "standard order of business" versus an "agenda"?

Q. What remains constant from year to year, no matter the session, versus, what changes with every session (by definition)?

;)

Good question! You guys bare with me if I appear to ask a dumb question (I am still trying to understand this vast subject).  I think you made me answer my own question.  The order of business is part of the agenda. Is that correct? If I am correct,  then the order of business for those who have an agenda and have adopted RONR is that on page 353! Am I correct again?

And the opportunities keep a-comin'!

I don't want to tear away the curtain and reveal the Wizard of Oz manipulating the knobs. :o

I want you (the reader) to come the conclusion.

QUIZ.

Q. If you have no agenda, what do you do?

Answer: The chair will call off each category of business, and will prompt the members for appropriate business under that category.

Right?

What would a president say in such a circumstance?

"Well, guys, I forgot my agenda at home." (Or, "The dog ate my agenda," etc.)

"Are there any minutes to approve? Yes? Then the secretary will read the minutes." [ and so on ]

"Are there any officers ready to report? Yes? Then, yes, you there, please give your officer's report." [ and so on ]

"Are there any committees ready to report? Yes? Alright then, go ahead and you do your report first." [ and so on ]

(Etc.)

Quiz Question:

Q. What "list" is the chair using to call off each category of business in its proper order?

Q. If the dog had not eaten the chair's agenda, then tell me what is the difference between:

(a.) what the unlucky chair had to improvise spontaneously without his agenda; vs.

(b.) what the chair would have called off smoothly, seamlessly, with his agenda?

BONUS QUESTION.

Q. Do we agree that, with the agenda or without the agenda, the same items of business would have been transacted, in both scenarios?

Q. What made this possible?

9 hours ago, Willie Watson said:

I have been following this conservation. I have a question for Mr. Daniel H. Honemann! I thought the order of business prescribed in RONR, page 353, ll. 10-15 was the prescribed order of business for those organizations who have adopted RONR and have not adopted a special order of business. Please clarify whether in your opinion I have incorrectly interpreted what is written there.

Yes, this is correct provided that the organization's regular meetings are held within quarterly time intervals.

9 hours ago, Willie Watson said:

You seem to be stating above something different.

No, I wasn't.

There is a difference between the kind of "order of business" described in RONR (11th ed.) on page 353, lines 10-15, and an "agenda" (which is a different kind of order of business, and one which is not customarily adopted for a meeting if the standard order of business is already applicable to it.

Section 41 of RONR (11th ed.) isn't the easiest Section in the book to understand. Read it carefully. :)

Archived