The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amend a motion

Fred Lester

The motion was to ban smoking in the building which now is a smoking facility, the motion was made and second was made. One member tried to postpone the motion but was not allowed to , he was told that it took a notice to the membership anyway so the vote would be delayed until that time.  in the motion there is not any provision for the smokers at all so it looks like a majority vote will decide their smoking future. If the motion pass can it be amended at a later time. this has always been a smoking facility with no state laws prohibiting smoking in the building.

5 minutes ago, Fred Lester said:

The motion was to ban smoking in the building which now is a smoking facility, the motion was made and second was made. One member tried to postpone the motion but was not allowed to , he was told that it took a notice to the membership anyway so the vote would be delayed until that time.  in the motion there is not any provision for the smokers at all so it looks like a majority vote will decide their smoking future. If the motion pass can it be amended at a later time. this has always been a smoking facility with no state laws prohibiting smoking in the building.

Yes, if the motion to ban smoking is adopted, it can be amended or rescinded at a later time.

All of the rules relating to amending or rescinding something previously adopted are set forth in Section 35 of RONR (11th ed.). I suggest you read it. 

• 2 months later...

Another question I have is a motion was made and approved to go non-smoking the end of December at august's meeting. At September 's meeting a member indicated he was going to attempt to amend the motion by following the procedure to post his intention. He subsequently followed the procedure to rescind the motion by posting it at the post. He is being told since he said he would AMEND it, he can't now RESCIND it. I think that is splitting hairs and he has the right to bring his motion to rescind to the october meeting .

I'm assuming this is the same organization and the same situation that Fred Lester brought up. 

Dottie, what do you mean by this comment:  ". . . He subsequently followed the procedure to rescind the motion by posting it at the post."   What does "posting it at the post" mean? 

And what exactly did he say in the previous meeting when he "gave notice" that he would be moving to amend the original motion?  Did he provide any details as to the nature of his proposed amendment?

Edited to add:  If this is NOT the same organization and the same situation/motion, then please don't answer here but post your question as a new topic (but with the additional information I requested!). It can get confusing if your situation is not identical to that of Fred Lester.

Archived