Guest ntb

Proxy voting: limited but not general proxies allowed?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,  Hoping I can get some help with a proxy voting issue that has come up at my HOA.  In the past we have allowed general proxies for voting on board positions at the annual meeting but this became a problem last year when some proxy voting members complained about how their vote was casted.  As a solution we changed our procedure to only allow notarized limited proxies which require the proxy voting member to specify specifically who their voting for.  Our by-laws state that proxy voting is allowed at the annual meeting only but does not specify the type of proxy vote to use or any procedure.  

So my question is if by-laws state you must allow proxy votes at the annual meeting does that mean you must allow both general and limited proxies or can the board choose which one to use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Guest ntb said:

So my question is if by-laws state you must allow proxy votes at the annual meeting does that mean you must allow both general and limited proxies or can the board choose which one to use?

The board has only those powers given to it by the bylaws, by applicable statute, or by a proper delegation of authority from the membership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2016 at 11:24 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

The board has only those powers given to it by the bylaws, by applicable statute, or by a proper delegation of authority from the membership.

Are there any professional 3rd party parliamentarians that you can hire to make that determination for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest ntb said:

Are there any professional 3rd party parliamentarians that you can hire to make that determination for you?

I'm afraid that I do not know what you mean by "professional 3rd party parliamentarians", nor do I know what "determination" you think can or needs to be made for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I'm afraid that I do not know what you mean by "professional 3rd party parliamentarians", nor do I know what "determination" you think can or needs to be made for you.

They are professional parliamentarians who are neither parties of the first part nor parties of the second part. Does that help you? (Or anyone?) :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2016 at 6:40 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

They are professional parliamentarians who are neither parties of the first part nor parties of the second part. Does that help you? (Or anyone?) :)

No, but I think I can guess what part comes next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Loading...