Guest Monnipotent

Secretary absent during vote

9 posts in this topic

If the secretary steps out of a board meeting can business be conducted and motions passed?

As long as a quorum is present, certainly.  Someone else should take the minutes until his return.

Yes, but it would be nice if the Secretary asks someone else to take notes during his or her absence. If the absence is going to be for more than a few minutes, a secretary pro tem should be selected, which can be done by unanimous consent by the chairman suggesting someone to fill the role.

If the meetings are audio recorded and someone else is taking minutes then motions passed are not null and void?

9 minutes ago, Guest Monnipotent said:

If the meetings are audio recorded and someone else is taking minutes then motions passed are not null and void?

As long as a quorum is present, the motions adopted are not null and void solely because of the absence of the Secretary.

The motions aren't even null and void if nobody is taking the minutes, although there may be a bunch of argument later about what was actually adopted.

Agreeing with my colleagues, the absence of the secretary does not render action taken by the assembly null and void. But, as Alexis Hunt pointed out, the absence of the secretary or of someone taking notes might make it difficult to recall later exactly what was adopted.

THANK YOU ALL!!!! I feel so much better equipped to go into tomorrow's Board meeting.  I had a board member tell me that it was common sense that if she stepped out of a meeting that we could not take action.  She was not happy when I told her that while she may think its common sense that I preferred to be given the location of the rule in Robert's Rules.  

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor