The Official RONR Q & A Forums

monopoly voting

DAS

Our bylaws state that there must be 5 members on the board of directors.  One member holding a monopoly of proxies votes against the five nominated members and votes for himself.  The president stated that all five of those nominated were voted on to the board.  That one member is now asking for a recount.  Can we tell him that the board must be made up of 5 people and not just the one that his monopoly proxies voted in?

28 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

In elections, you do not vote "against" any candidate, only for the ones you like.  If you don't like one or more of the candidates, vote for someone else.

I believe you, but where does it state that in Roberts Rules of Order?  I need to give something in writing to this member because he is calling for a re-vote and I need to get him to back off.

1 hour ago, DAS said:

Members that were unable to attend the meeting gave one member their proxy.  On those proxies, he wrote Against after each of the members to be voted on and nominated himself for the board.

To be clear, this person did not 'nominate himself for the board'. He appears to have cast his own and his proxy votes for himself as a write-in candidate. As stated previously, you should review carefully your organization's rules as to whether proxy votes are permitted, and also whether write-in votes are permitted.

If his votes are valid then, at most, he probably has caused himself to be elected to the board. If the number of votes this person cast means that no other candidate received a majority of votes cast, then you have an incomplete election, with only this person elected. You need to hold additional rounds of balloting for the other four (or possibly fewer) positions that are to be filled.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.