The Official RONR Q & A Forums

(Not) obtaining floor on Request for Information

mikalac

Under Req/Inq Std. Char., p. 293, #3, I see, "All are in order when another has the floor if they require immediate attention." In my mind, this does not say that the requestor/inquirer can rise w/o obtaining the floor from the chair. P.294 ll 4-5 state categorically that under a PI, the inquirer need not obtain the floor to make the inquiry, but the same categorical statement is not made about a Req. for Info. All I see is p.295 ll 1-2 "If information is desired of a member who is speaking, the inquirer, upon rising, may use the following form instead:"

If the chair says that I am OOO because I need his permission to obtain the floor to make my request, what do I cite that he is OOO because RR gives me the right to make my request w/o obtaining the floor?

Thanks for your assistance.

Therefore, the word "interruption" implies that I need not obtain the floor?

To the extent described on page 295. Since someone is speaking, you would need to interrupt that person in order to say, "Mr. President, will the member yield for a question?" Saying anything more than that until the chair directs you to ask your question would be out of order.

To the extent described on page 295. Since someone is speaking, you would need to interrupt that person in order to say, "Mr. President, will the member yield for a question?" Saying anything more than that until the chair directs you to ask your question would be out of order.

I will never interrupt anyone for anything at a meeting. Say that Counsel expresses an opinion. I want to ask Counsel through the chair a clarification of what he said. I consider my request to be a Request for Information. Does that change your answer to my original question?

Therefore, the word "interruption" implies that I need not obtain the floor?

If you prefer, look at it as saying that you must interrupt in order to obtain the floor.

Agreeing with Mr. Fish, I think pages 292 - 295 make it pretty clear that a request for information (or point of information, if you prefer) and parliamentary inquiry both allow you to interrupt a speaker by shouting "parliamentary inquiry" or "Request for Information"  in a way that it interrupts the speaker and without having "obtained the floor" or first being recognized by the Chair.  So do the Table of Rules Relating to Motions in the tinted pages.  It's the same as when making a Point of Order.  They all say that they are in order when another has the floor.  At that point, the speaker should stop talking and the Chair should ask you to "state your inquiry" (or some such statement), whereupon you state your inquiry.

Edited to add:  I agree that the language suggested by Mr. Fish in post # 4, "Mr. President, will the member yield for a question?", is the preferred way of obtaining the chair's attention for the purpose of asking the speaker a question.

If you prefer, look at it as saying that you must interrupt in order to obtain the floor.

Agreeing with Mr. Fish, I think pages 292 - 295 make it pretty clear that a request for information (or point of information, if you prefer) and parliamentary inquiry both allow you to interrupt a speaker by shouting "parliamentary inquiry" or "Request for Information"  in a way that it interrupts the speaker and without having "obtained the floor" or first being recognized by the Chair.  So do the Table of Rules Relating to Motions in the tinted pages.  It's the same as when making a Point of Order.  They all say that they are in order when another has the floor.  At that point, the speaker should stop talking and the Chair should ask you to "state your inquiry" (or some such statement), whereupon you state your inquiry.  

Here is how an online dictionary defines "interrupt".

1. stop the continuous progress of (an activity or process).
"the buzzer interrupted his thoughts"
synonyms: cut in (on), break in (on), barge in (on), intervene (in), put one's oar in, put one's two cents in, interject; More
informalbutt in (on), chime in (with)
"she opened her mouth to interrupt"
suspend, adjourn, discontinue, break off, put on hold;
stop, halt, cease, end, bring to an end/close;
informalput on ice, put on the back burner
"the band had to interrupt their tour"
  • stop (someone speaking) by saying or doing something.
    "“Of course …” Shepherd began, but his son interrupted him"
break the continuity of (a line or surface).

"the coastal plain is interrupted by chains of large

I am not interrupting anyone. Counsel has finished his speech.

Don't take it personally, but I'm not satisfied with the answers I'm receiving.

If no one else has the floor, then you can simply obtain the floor like normal. If you want to use your time to tell the chair that you would like for certain questions to be answered, then do so. But if you want the person who is speaking to answer a question while he has the floor, you will need to interrupt him in order to ask the question.

If no one else has the floor, then you can simply obtain the floor like normal. If you want to use your time to tell the chair that you would like for certain questions to be answered, then do so. But if you want the person who is speaking to answer a question while he has the floor, you will need to interrupt him in order to ask the question.

This may seem too simple and naive a question for you experts, but remember that I am not one of the anointed. What is the proper way to request from the chair that Counsel (or anyone else) answer a question of mine w/o being OOO, assuming as before, that I am not interrrupting anyone? And must I under this condition obtain the floor or not? I don't see a Sample Form in the tinted pages. A sample form will be much appreciated.

This may seem too simple and naive a question for you experts, but remember that I am not one of the anointed. What is the proper way to request from the chair that Counsel (or anyone else) answer a question of mine w/o being OOO, assuming as before, that I am not interrrupting anyone? And must I under this condition obtain the floor or not? I don't see a Sample Form in the tinted pages. A sample form will be much appreciated.

You could say something like, "Mr. President, I would like to ask Counsel if he believes it is legal for us to do this." Or whatever your question is.

"Rules Governing Debate" pp. 385-399.

So the difference in the two situations seems to be this: If in debate I interrupt a speaker, I make my request w/o obtaining the floor. If in debate I do not interrupt the speaker, then I must obtain the floor. In both cases, I lose 1 of my 2 rights to speak on the question.

So the difference in the two situations seems to be this: If in debate I interrupt a speaker, I make my request w/o obtaining the floor. If in debate I do not interrupt the speaker, then I must obtain the floor. In both cases, I lose 1 of my 2 rights to speak on the question.

"Merely asking a question or making a brief suggestion is not counted as speaking in debate." pg. 389

Guest Trouble Spotter

Norm, despite your initial questions holding some promise to lead to discussion your last few have painted you as the bull in the china shop of parliamentary procedure.  Or as some might say you seem to suggest that 'It's my way or the highway".

Archived