The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing Bylaws to add co-chair

Guest Nicole

We have elected a new board of ed representative. At the evening vote there were 2 candidates. After the vote the winner said he would like to propose that we ad a co representative so they can both be on the board. My question is not if it is a good idea, but once the motion to change the bylaws  passes do we have to wait for the next meeting to vote in the other candidate? 

Once the motion to amend the bylaws is adopted, you'll have to have an election - after giving prior notice - to fill the new position in the same manner that you filled it the first time; that is, unless you include some other method in the amendment. It wouldn't necessarily have to be at the next regular meeting if you have the ability to call special meetings.

And even though it wasn't your question - few if any of the regular responders here think that co-anythings is a good idea.

2 hours ago, Bruce Lages said:

Once the motion to amend the bylaws is adopted, you'll have to have an election - after giving prior notice - to fill the new position in the same manner that you filled it the first time; that is, unless you include some other method in the amendment. It wouldn't necessarily have to be at the next regular meeting if you have the ability to call special meetings.

It seems to me that it would be in order to provide notice that the new co-representative shall be elected, provided that the bylaw amendment is adopted. So it would be possible to hold the election at the same meeting that the bylaw amendment is adopted.

Edited by Josh Martin

Guest Nicole, you said you aren't necessarily asking whether co-representatives are a good idea.  We have already hinted that we think it is NOT a good idea, but I'm going to go a step further.  One of our regular posters, Dr. John Stackpole (JStackpo) published an article in the NAP magazine, the National Parliamentarian in the July 2009 issue titled "The Problems with Co-Anythings".  If you will send me your email address, I will email you a copy of it.  My email address is in the "About Me" section of my profile.  

18 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Dr. Stackpole sent it to me and has given me permission to share it with anyone i want to as long as i give him credit for it, which I do. That's good enough for me. :)

You want a copy of it? 

No thanks.  That stuff is comin out my ears 20 ears now.

(Though of course John told it charmingly.  I liked the understated blank verse.)

Edited by Gary c Tesser
butter John up

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.