The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of officers

Guest cherokee Brasher

Not if a vote by ballot is required......and guest_guest has said they're voting by ballot.

I understand that they are using absentee ballots but I wonder if the bylaws require that a ballot be used for the election of if voting by ballot (present and absentee) is an option but not a requirement.

Couldn't the rules be suspended to allow for the election to be determined by a coin flip, a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, drawing straws, etc?

No, it is a fundamental principal of parliamentary law that each member is entitled to a vote on a question. While a question may be disposed of without a direct vote on it, I don't see that the rules can be suspended to allow a question to be decided by a game of chance, thereby denying members the right to vote on that question.

No, it is a fundamental principal of parliamentary law that each member is entitled to a vote on a question. While a question may be disposed of without a direct vote on it, I don't see that the rules can be suspended to allow a question to be decided by a game of chance, thereby denying members the right to vote on that question.

Aren't the members voting on flipping the coin?

Aren't the members voting on flipping the coin?

Yep, but what about a member who votes against it, who wants to cast a vote in the election? The assembly can't deny that right.

In any event, a FPPL cannot be suspended, even by a unanimous vote, and I say suspending the rules to give the decision-making power to a coin (nonmember) would be governed by that rule.

Yep, but what about a member who votes against it, who wants to cast a vote in the election? The assembly can't deny that right.

In any event, a FPPL cannot be suspended, even by a unanimous vote, and I say suspending the rules to give the decision-making power to a coin (nonmember) would be governed by that rule.

I think you will find that, unless a ballot vote is required, there is precious little that anyone can do to prevent a majority from electing whoever it wishes to elect by whatever means it wishes to elect him.

I think you will find that, unless a ballot vote is required, there is precious little that anyone can do to prevent a majority from electing whoever it wishes to elect by whatever means it wishes to elect him.

Okay, so, what I'm hearing is that an assembly can adopt a method of voting that does not involve an actual vote, so long as the voting method is adopted by a vote to sufficient to adopt the motion to which it applies.

Therefore, to adopt a coin flip as the method of voting on a motion to limit debate would require a two-thirds vote.

Is that about right?

Okay, so, what I'm hearing is that an assembly can adopt a method of voting that does not involve an actual vote, so long as the voting method is adopted by a vote to sufficient to adopt the motion to which it applies.

Therefore, to adopt a coin flip as the method of voting on a motion to limit debate would require a two-thirds vote.

Is that about right?

For the time being, just stick to what I said.

Archived