The Official RONR Q & A Forums

NOMINATIONS

Guest PETER

If a nomination was accepted for a position on a board, then a few days later, the subj declined the nomination due to personal reasons and then a few days later, the subj re accepted the nomination,can that subj legally be on the ballot, orcan he only be voted in by the write in votes? Any feed back would be great

If a nomination was accepted for a position on a board, then a few days later, the subj declined the nomination due to personal reasons and then a few days later, the subj re accepted the nomination,can that subj legally be on the ballot, orcan he only be voted in by the write in votes?

The member can change his mind as many times as he wants. If you're using preprinted ballots and there's still time to change them, go right ahead and do it.

so if a memeber accept the nominationfrom the nomination then officially turns it down, but after someone off the floor is nominated that person want to re accept the nomination, can that person still have their name on the ballot. Seems like they would only be able to get elected from write in votes only due to resigning from the first nomination that the commitee put together.

so if a memeber accept the nominationfrom the nomination then officially turns it down, but after someone off the floor is nominated that person want to re accept the nomination, can that person still have their name on the ballot. Seems like they would only be able to get elected from write in votes only due to resigning from the first nomination that the commitee put together.

If I read this correctly, you're asking if Mr. Wishy-Washy can have his name on the ballot after hearing another nominee get named from the floor. If the ballots haven't been printed yet, sure. If they have (as would typically be the case since if you are now accepting nominations from the floor you should be in election mode with voting to commence presently) then he's going to have to settle for write-in status.

If they have (as would typically be the case since if you are now accepting nominations from the floor you should be in election mode with voting to commence presently) then he's going to have to settle for write-in status.

Not necessarily. Some assemblies conduct nominations from the floor and the actual election at separate meetings.

Seems like they would only be able to get elected from write in votes only due to resigning from the first nomination that the commitee put together.

You don't "resign" from a nomination. In fact, in my opinion, you can't really withdraw it either (unless it was made by the nominating committee). If I nominate Peter for president, it's my nomination, not Peter's. He can let everyone know he has no interest in the job but that doesn't prevent me from nominating him and everyone from voting for him. And if he's elected he can change his mind (again) and take the job. Maybe he was just shy but, faced with the overwhelming support of the membership, he's now willing to step up to the plate.

Well, it may seem that way, but it's not that way. If there is still time to see that his name is on the ballot, then there is no reason to keep him off.

Archived