The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Sally

Hello!

Can anyone help, please? I have two Church board members who are in mid-term that want to run for a different office...i.e. Treasurer to President. If either member loses their bid for the open Office position, are they allowed to return to their previous position, or is that forfeited?

Thanks for any advice.

Sally

Hello!

Can anyone help, please? I have two Church board members who are in mid-term that want to run for a different office...i.e. Treasurer to President. If either member loses their bid for the open Office position, are they allowed to return to their previous position, or is that forfeited?

Thanks for any advice.

Sally

No rule in RONR requires an officer to forfeit his office on account of having stood for election to another office.

Hello!

Thanks for any advice.

Sally

They don't lose anything. In fact, it's not their "previous position" because they don't have to resign to run. If they lose, they stay in their current position.

Whether they can hold two positions depends on the rules in your society. RONR doesn't prohibit it. They could certainly wait to see if they won election in any case. And they could also announce in advance that if elected they would resign their seat as board-member. It might even become a campaign issue, if members thought that doing so would make the board too small--or not small enough.

But if they do end up holding two offices, remember, it's one person one vote. You count heads, not hats.

Archived