The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Number of Votes Member can cast

Scott Erwin

In our Association we have a small number of people willing to be hold positions on the Executive Board.

With that, we have for the 'Head Table', the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. We also have Directors and Assistant Directors. We also have other Standing Committees (Chairmen) that comprise the rest of the Executive Board. Some are; By-Laws, Membership, Webmaster, and Publicity to name a few. Each of the Executive Board positions listed has a voting position within the Executive Board (President must conform to RONR regarding voting.)

Background:

One of the Head Table positions is occupied/listed by and was voted into office as a couple by the General Assembly. (The other positions on the Head Table happen to be all single at this time, but they too were voted into office by the General Assembly.)

One of the persons who is occupying the office held by the couple, also is a chairman for another position on the Executive Board which has a voting position.

Our Bylaws say: "A. There shall be an Executive Board consisting of the elected officers, a Director and an Assistant Director from each district. Each office shall have one (1) vote."

In another section of our Bylaws it describes the standing committees and the chairman of the committee. After defining the committee and the purpose/job for that position it says: "This committee chairman shall have voting rights."

The questions are these:

Does the person who was voted in as one half of the couple, who also is a member of the standing committee who holds a voting position, get to vote under the standing committee position while the other half of the Head Table position gets to cast a vote?

Is the vote the Head Table position casts, the only vote the person who occupies two voting positions gets to cast?

Then as a follow up....

Does the person who was voted into held by the couple, allowed to not be part of the office which they were voted into so they can cast a vote in another voting position?

In our Association we have a small number of people willing to be hold positions on the Executive Board.

With that, we have for the 'Head Table', the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. We also have Directors and Assistant Directors. We also have other Standing Committees (Chairmen) that comprise the rest of the Executive Board. Some are; By-Laws, Membership, Webmaster, and Publicity to name a few. Each of the Executive Board positions listed has a voting position within the Executive Board (President must conform to RONR regarding voting.)

Background:

One of the Head Table positions is occupied/listed by and was voted into office as a couple by the General Assembly. (The other positions on the Head Table happen to be all single at this time, but they too were voted into office by the General Assembly.)

One of the persons who is occupying the office held by the couple, also is a chairman for another position on the Executive Board which has a voting position.

Our Bylaws say: "A. There shall be an Executive Board consisting of the elected officers, a Director and an Assistant Director from each district. Each office shall have one (1) vote."

In another section of our Bylaws it describes the standing committees and the chairman of the committee. After defining the committee and the purpose/job for that position it says: "This committee chairman shall have voting rights."

The questions are these:

Does the person who was voted in as one half of the couple, who also is a member of the standing committee who holds a voting position, get to vote under the standing committee position while the other half of the Head Table position gets to cast a vote?

Is the vote the Head Table position casts, the only vote the person who occupies two voting positions gets to cast?

Then as a follow up....

Does the person who was voted into held by the couple, allowed to not be part of the office which they were voted into so they can cast a vote in another voting position?

As far as the general parliamentary law is concerned, membership in an assembly is personal and cannot be multiplied or divided. One member, one vote.

Does this mean the person who is allowed to vote as the Head Table, is also allowed to vote as a standing committee chairman, thus allowing 2 votes from the same person?

Nope, just the opposite.

You'll also need to figure which of the couple you improperly (not to say astonishingly) elected to one seat has to go.

Does this mean the person who is allowed to vote as the Head Table, is also allowed to vote as a standing committee chairman, thus allowing 2 votes from the same person?

A person gets one vote in each body of which he is a member. If he is a member of a committee, he gets one vote in meetings of the committee. If he is also a member of an executive board, he gets one vote in meetings of the executive board. No one gets two votes in one meeting, under the general law.

No, it means the opposite. One-person-one-vote does not mean one person two votes. It means the other thing.

Of course, a person who is a member of five different committees can cast a vote in a meeting of any one of those committees, but those are different meetings. In each meeting, on each motion, you get to cast one vote.

But if there is single meeting at which a number of different offices are represented, and someone holds three of those offices, then when it's time to vote, that person may vote. Once.

People vote, offices don't. It doesn't matter how many hats a person wears, when it's time to vote they get to say Aye or No, or turn in one ballot, or stand up, or raise one hand.

That's a drawback to allowing people to hold multiple offices; it dilutes their power, reduces the size of boards, and provides fewer heads when it's time to put their heads together.

If I understand correctly then.

The person can cast a vote for the standing committee, while the other half of the Head Table position, that they also occupy, gets to cast the vote for that office.

Two different people, casting two votes, while one of the persons happen to be part of one of the first office?

Under the general law, no one is half a member of an assembly. As I said earlier, membership cannot be divided. One person, one vote. He gets one vote, not two half-votes.

The person can cast a vote for the standing committee, while the other half of the Head Table position, that they also occupy, gets to cast the vote for that office.

Firstly, and again, you've got to get rid of one of the couple that you somehow thought you could elect to one position. One (or both) doesn't belong there. At least not wearing the same hat. One person can wear more than one hat but two people can't wear the same hat.

Then, don't think of members as voting "for" some other body (i.e. voting for the standing committee). Members are members and each member gets one vote.

Thank you all VERY VERY MUCH !

I think I got it.

Regardless of how many positions a person holds, shared or not, they only get one vote. The person who they share the position with gets one vote. The other half of the shared position, under a different position, does not get an additional vote.

Nope. Each person gets one vote.

Firstly, and again, you've got to get rid of one of the couple that you somehow thought you could elect to one position. One (or both) doesn't belong there. At least not wearing the same hat. One person can wear more than one hat but two people can't wear the same hat.

Then, don't think of members as voting "for" some other body (i.e. voting for the standing committee). Members are members and each member gets one vote.

I get that part now too [i hope I do anyway]...In our activity it is mainly a couples activity but I think we need to designate only one person for the position with the rights and privleges of that position. This is not a Mr/Mrs option for holding a position, only ONE person has the actual title and responsibilities that come with tht office.

I get that part now too [i hope I do anyway]...In our activity it is mainly a couples activity but I think we need to designate only one person for the position with the rights and privleges of that position. This is not a Mr/Mrs option for holding a position, only ONE person has the actual title and responsibilities that come with tht office.

Yes, that's a much better way.

And unless your bylaws are unusual, that's actually the way it is now, and these shared positions you believe you have might not actually exist. You can't have co-anythings unless your bylaws expressly allow it.

Archived