The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President and Vice President Resign

mneth

We are a union of school bus drivers and attendants. Our Vice President resigned last week and, because our President has not acted appropriately in a number of situations, there is a petition to have her removed, also. If both officers are removed, who then becomes President? Our constitution says a member of the Executive Board should be appointed in the President's place and serve until our next election, which is in May of this year. If no one from the Executive Board will accept the President's position, can a member from the union be appointed to fill this position until our next election?

If the constitution requires that a member of the Board must be appointed, then this is the case. Otherwise, the membership could elect someone else. As it is already February, and elections are to be held in May - which is only two and a half months away - why would a Board member not accept the appointment?

Another option - which I am willing to have challenged - would be to simply elect a Chair Pro Tem at each meeting up until the May meeting. This will not answer any Administrative issues that may arise (the Administrative duties for the President being outside RONR), but will take care of any immediate parliamentary issues at meetings (i.e. having a chair.)

We are a union of school bus drivers and attendants. Our Vice President resigned last week and, because our President has not acted appropriately in a number of situations, there is a petition to have her removed, also. If both officers are removed, who then becomes President? Our constitution says a member of the Executive Board should be appointed in the President's place and serve until our next election, which is in May of this year. If no one from the Executive Board will accept the President's position, can a member from the union be appointed to fill this position until our next election?

Since it seems the conditions visualized in your bylaws could be exhausted without filling the positions of president and vice-president, you will need to hold a special election for the uncompleted term. The same group - the members(?) - who voted to elect the president in the first place would vote in that election.

-Bob

Our constitution says a member of the Executive Board should be appointed in the President's place and serve until our next election...

Does it say "should be" or "shall be?" The former is a suggestion, the latter a mandate.

If the former, you could probably appoint/elect any member willing to serve. If the latter, it leaves open the question of which member of the Executive Board? And that leads you into the "Hey, why me? Why not George?" morass.

I'd be surprised to learn that for two-plus months to serve as President is such a hardship.

I'd be surprised to learn that for two-plus months to serve as President is such a hardship.

I dunno, ever been a union president? ;) I have, and it can be draining.

Bertha, check how your national or parent (if there is one) constitution and bylaws address the situation. There may be some guidance or provision there. I know that is the case in my union,

Does it say "should be" or "shall be?" The former is a suggestion, the latter a mandate.

If the former, you could probably appoint/elect any member willing to serve. If the latter, it leaves open the question of which member of the Executive Board? And that leads you into the "Hey, why me? Why not George?" morass.

Our Bylaws states the following:

In the President’s absence, the Vice-President shall assume the duties and responsibilities of the President and shall perform such other duties as the President may designate. In the President’s absence and Vice-President’s absence, the body shall select a presiding officer from the Executive Board to fulfill the President’s position and the new President shall appoint a Vice-President.

So what do you think? I think our best bet us to get one of the members of the Executive Board to assume the President's position and then the President would then appoint a Vice President.

What does the Constitution say about filling a vacant position on the Board - and what does it state about the terms of office?

If there is another option (i.e. if a position becomes available, the Board can appoint a member - any member - or a special meeting is to be called.) If the terms of office read that a position is elected for "x years or until their successor is elected", then the general membership can elect another person.

What does the Constitution say about filling a vacant position on the Board - and what does it state about the terms of office?

If there is another option (i.e. if a position becomes available, the Board can appoint a member - any member - or a special meeting is to be called.) If the terms of office read that a position is elected for "x years or until their successor is elected", then the general membership can elect another person.

In our constitution, it reads, "Duly elected officers shall serve a one (1) year term commencing at the June Association meeting. Each officer shall remain in office until his/her successor assumes the office."

In our constitution, it reads, "Duly elected officers shall serve a one (1) year term commencing at the June Association meeting. Each officer shall remain in office until his/her successor assumes the office."

You haven't answered the question regarding how vacancies on the Board are filled. If someone resigns from the Board or is removed how is the position filled?

So what do you think? I think our best bet us to get one of the members of the Executive Board to assume the President's position and then the President would then appoint a Vice President.

I agree that following your Bylaws is the way to go. The only other option you might have (that Rev Ed and Chris H. are hinting at) is that if you have a vacancy in a board member position, you could fill that vacancy first and then appoint that person as President. This would effectively broaden your pool of candidates beyond the current board members. This may or may not be practical depending on the method of filling vacancies on the board.

If the terms of office read that a position is elected for "x years or until their successor is elected", then the general membership can elect another person.

...only for misconduct or neglect of duty in office.

You haven't answered the question regarding how vacancies on the Board are filled. If someone resigns from the Board or is removed how is the position filled?

We have nothing in our constitution that answers the question of how vacancies on the Board are filled. There is nothing that covers how a new person would be added to the Board or a member of the Board being removed.

• 4 months later...

If poster Marda Neth has a question, I'd be glad to look at it. It may be that the poster needs to know that the post should be written first, and then to click on the "Add Reply" button. Otherwise all we see is a five-month-old thread. Of course it's always good to see 5-month-old discussions kept fresh. But still.

Archived