The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum size

finneyb

Quorum size – What is considered a reasonable number for a 10,000+ membership 501©(3) organisation with membership across the US?

The quorum should be set to the largest number of voting members who will reliably attend a meeting in ordinary circumstances. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 20, ll. 15-20.

The quorum should be set to the largest number of voting members who will reliably attend a meeting in ordinary circumstances. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 20, ll. 15-20.

Thanks for that. I didn't want to give numbers initially in case it influenced the answer.

In terms of numbers, the proposal is 10% of the membership ie 1000+ which is unreasonable IMHO. My experience shows that 50 would be a reasonable and workable number.

Does anyone have a feel for the practice in other similar sized organisations?

Thanks for that. I didn't want to give numbers initially in case it influenced the answer.

In terms of numbers, the proposal is 10% of the membership ie 1000+ which is unreasonable IMHO. My experience shows that 50 would be a reasonable and workable number.

Does anyone have a feel for the practice in other similar sized organisations?

When it had a total membership of over 1,300, the UK House of Lords had a quorum of 3. How's that? :)

Quorum size – What is considered a reasonable number for a 10,000+ membership . . . organisation with membership across the US?

Such organizations frequently permit absentee voting and/or voting by proxy and/or being "present by proxy". Needless to say, such provisions would have to be authorized in the bylaws. Further, such organizations frequently cede most of the authority to a board and the once-a-year meeting of the general membership exists solely to elect board members and, perhaps, amend bylaws (the former of which can easily be done with absentee and/or proxy votes; as can the latter with, perhaps, less ease).

You could then require that fifty members show up in person but still require greater participation in decision making.

Archived