The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Debate

Guest P. Sterle

Im in a fraternity, and during our debate brothers will show support for the debater by snapping, or clapping spoons against the table. I'm against this, as I'm the president. However I know that I can't do anything about it unless it's against RONR. if it is can you tell me where?

Im in a fraternity, and during our debate brothers will show support for the debater by snapping, or clapping spoons against the table. I'm against this, as I'm the president. However I know that I can't do anything about it unless it's against RONR. if it is can you tell me where?

If the snapping or clapping disturbs the assembly you can call the members to order (RONR p. 382). However, just because this disturbs you doesn't necessarily mean that it disturbs the rest of them.

If spoon-clapping is a long-standing custom, I think you should tolerate it to the extent that it does not excessively disrupt the proceedings or prevent the speaker from speaking in debate. However, if this becomes so loud or prolonged that it amounts to a disturbance in the assembly, you should ask the speaker to suspend and bring the assembly back to order. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 382, ll. 1-12.

Archived