The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election process

Guest Rick

Our by-laws state that "one person can not hold more then one elected position" which I agree with. But they also state that one person can not be nominated for more then one position? I am interested in running for vice president and secretary. I was told that I can't and that I will have to withdrawal my nomination from one or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's one way.

If your voting is held by ballot, and elections are held "office-by-office" (ie one at a time), and you have enough friends in the membership that would elect you to either office:

1. Make sure one of them nominates you for VP. If you lose,

2a. They can nominate you then for Secretary (assuming nominations are taken from the floor at the time of each office's election), or

2b. Have them all write in your name on the ballot for Secretary

Unless your rules say otherwise, you don't have to be nominated to be elected. It just takes some planning.

Our by-laws state that "one person can not hold more then one elected position" which I agree with. But they also state that one person can not be nominated for more then one position? I am interested in running for vice president and secretary. I was told that I can't and that I will have to withdrawal my nomination from one or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No rule in RONR prohibits a person from standing for election to more than one office. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 425, l. 30, through p. 426, l. 6, concerning the case where someone wins more than one election.

In my opinion, a rule regarding nominations is in the nature of a rule of order and could be suspended by a 2/3 vote. If you don't have a 2/3 vote on your side, I'd just get a nomination for President and do a write-in campaign for VP. This is an option whether the offices are elected one-by-one or all at once. If they're elected all at once and you win both, you'll just have to pick which office to take, and they'll have to hold a second round of balloting for the other office.

I agree that the rule restricting nominations can be suspended by a 2/3 vote, as it is in the nature of a rule of order.

But in case you're wondering, the rule restricting holding office is not, and cannot be suspended.

What if the nomination process takes place wholly or partly outside the meeting? Would that mean it is not in the nature of a rule of order?

Then it would wholly or partially not be.

But I believe if nominations were (re)opened during a meeting, a motion to Suspend the rules and nominate Rick would be in order.

What if the nomination process takes place wholly or partly outside the meeting? Would that mean it is not in the nature of a rule of order?

The particular rule in question would, in my opinion, be in the nature of a rule of order and would be suspendable even if nominations in the society were generally conducted by mail (for instance), although in such a case it would be necessary to reopen nominations in order to add a new nomination from the floor.

Archived