The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to remove a chairman

Guest harry ray

It states in our bylaws how to remove officers and not how to remove a chairman. It also states that the Pres can appoint a chairman with the units approval. Can the Pres remove a chairman without approval?

The term "chairman" usually refers to the presiding officer at meetings, a position often held by the President. Since you reference the two positions separately, there may be more in the bylaws on this than we know at this time to answer fully. (note: this is not an invitation to post your bylaws here)

Typically, the power to appoint carries with it the power to "dis-appoint", although the "unit's approval" is another factor. It could be interpreted that, as the President can appoint a chairman only with the approval of the unit, that approval may also be required to remove a chairman. As this involves your own rules in your bylaws, a correct interpretation of them may be necessary, something not done on this forum. Pages 57-573 (RONR 10th Ed.) offer some helpful insights to this end, but stay tuned for others to weigh in.

It states in our bylaws how to remove officers and not how to remove a chairman. It also states that the Pres can appoint a chairman with the units approval. Can the Pres remove a chairman without approval?

Are you talking about the chairman of a committee? If so, then the president, who has the power to appoint, has the power to dismiss. I'm unsure how the requirement for approval would figure into a dismissal. I could probably argue it both ways. It will be up to your membership to decide if he needs approval to dismiss as well.

Are you talking about the chairman of a committee? If so, then the president, who has the power to appoint, has the power to dismiss. I'm unsure how the requirement for approval would figure into a dismissal. I could probably argue it both ways. It will be up to your membership to decide if he needs approval to dismiss as well.

I'd suggest a careful read of the paragraph that begins on page 479, line 32, of RONR, 10th ed. This situation appears to be the one described in c) on pages 477-78.

Is nominating persons to a committee, and then asking the assembly if they agree to the choices, the same thing as appointing? RONR c) pp 477-478 seems to describe the assembly as making the appointments the chair has suggested.

Or am I merely pointing out semantics? (I see that line 20 calls them appointees)

In the procedure of nominations by the chair, the assembly is free to strike out any of the names the President has provided, in which case the President may submit new names. As is clarified in the paragraph Mr. Honemann mentioned, Rescind or ASPA is still necessary to replace committee members appointed by this procedure. This may be a suitable analogy for the procedure in the association's Bylaws.

Archived