The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic or Conference Call "Meetings"

messadivoce

Do Bylaws customarily include provision for email or conference call "meetings?" I found one example where actions of this sort require unanimous consent of members, and must have written assent on file with minutes, a much higher bar than for a meeting in person. Any comments?

I suppose it depends on the nature of the organization. However, meetings held by conference call or e-mail can only be done if the bylaws specifically provide for them (RONR p. 2 footnote, pp. 408-409).

Do Bylaws customarily include provision for email or conference call "meetings?" I found one example where actions of this sort require unanimous consent of members, and must have written assent on file with minutes, a much higher bar than for a meeting in person. Any comments?

I wouldn't say it's exactly commonplace, but a number of organizations authorize conference calls in their bylaws. RONR suggests that at a minimum, whatever method is used, all members must be able to hear each other.

That would tend to make e-mail a less-preferred method, because it has a number of characteristics that simply don't map well to the rules in RONR, which means that unless you expertly craft a few hundred pages of rules to cover e-mail voting, you will be submerged in constant controversy over rules.

In either case, unless the bylaws authorize something different, only in-person meetings are legal meetings.

In my experience, authorization for conference call meetings is more common than for e-mail, and conference call meetings are handled more or less like in-person meetings. Conducting business by e-mail often does have caveats included, such as a higher voting threshold. A unanimous consent requirement is not uncommon for e-mail provisions. It's up to your organization to decide whether to include such provision in its Bylaws and what the details are.

Archived