The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion defeated and then raised again

Guest Mary Bohan

A motion at a recent town meeting to approve funds was defeated (12-9) by those present and eligible to vote at said meeting. Following this, a member of the audience moved to approve a lesser amount of funds. Said motion was seconded, and following discussion, was passed.

Is is proper to raise the question again, albeit at a lesser amount, and vote?

A motion at a recent town meeting to approve funds was defeated (12-9) by those present and eligible to vote at said meeting. Following this, a member of the audience moved to approve a lesser amount of funds. Said motion was seconded, and following discussion, was passed.

Not without rescinding the one that passed. And why would anyone who voted for it want to do that?

That is exactly what I meant...for future reference. Thank you!!

Hard to tell, with such sparse information. It might not have been, but it's a done deal now.

The correct thing to do would have been to move to Amend the motion while it was pending and under discussion, by striking one amount, and inserting another. Or, by creating a blank for the amount, and then having people suggest amounts to fill that blank. Vote on them in decreasing order until one of them gets majority agreement.

Then a final vote on the main motion with the now-just-right amount in it.

The rule is that no motion is in order which presents substantially the same question as one which has been previously disposed of in the session. So the second motion may have been out of order. A Point of Order regarding this violation would have had to be timely, however, so it's all water under the bridge now. In the future, members should use the motion to Amend to lower the amount (or the procedure of filling blanks, if there is a lot of disagreement over the amount), or if they don't think of it until later, a motion to Reconsider will bring the original motion up for consideration again, and it may then be amended.

The rule is that no motion is in order which presents substantially the same question as one which has been previously disposed of in the session. So the second motion may have been out of order. A Point of Order regarding this violation would have had to be timely, however, so it's all water under the bridge now. In the future, members should use the motion to Amend to lower the amount (or the procedure of filling blanks, if there is a lot of disagreement over the amount), or if they don't think of it until later, a motion to Reconsider will bring the original motion up for consideration again, and it may then be amended.

Thank you for all of your information...can anyone move to reconsider a motion that has passed?

I don't get out to enough town meetings, so I'm wondering if this question is "germane": was this a member of the audience, or a member in the audience?

I can see how, at a town meeting, perhaps citizens in attendance might have certain "membership rights" (as we think of them from RONR) such as making motions and such, but just thought I'd ask.

I don't get out to enough town meetings, so I'm wondering if this question is "germane": was this a member of the audience, or a member in the audience?

I can see how, at a town meeting, perhaps citizens in attendance might have certain "membership rights" (as we think of them from RONR) such as making motions and such, but just thought I'd ask.

She couldn't answer definitively anyway......just put it out of mind.

Thank you for all of your information...can anyone move to reconsider a motion that has passed?

No, to move to Reconsider, the mover has to have voted on the prevailing side.

I.e., for a motion that passed, only someone who voted Yes can move to reconsider; for a motion that failed, only someone who voted No can move to reconsider.

But a motion to Reconsider is no longer in order once the meeting is finished, except under the rarest of conditions.

Still, at the next meeting, anyone can re-introduce ("renew") a motion that had previously failed.

Also, anyone can move to Rescind a motion that was passed, but the requirements are somewhat tougher.

Archived