The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adoption of Agenda - Defeated

Denise

A long standing item on the Agenda was a section for public discussion. This matter was never officially placed in Procedural Bylaw, and new Chair has decided to remove it from the practice and had it removed from the Agenda. The media are furious.

Question: It appears that there will be a motion to defeat the Agenda as presented for this evening's meeting.

What, if anything, happens in a case of defeating the adoption of an Agenda?

A long standing item on the Agenda was a section for public discussion. This matter was never officially placed in Procedural Bylaw, and new Chair has decided to remove it from the practice and had it removed from the Agenda. The media are furious.

Question: It appears that there will be a motion to defeat the Agenda as presented for this evening's meeting.

The rejection of a main motion means that the assembly agrees not to do what the motion proposes. In the case of the rejection of a motion to adopt an agenda, the assembly would be agreeing not to adopt the proposed agenda as the order of business for the meeting. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 31, ll. 31-34; pp. 360-363.

The rejection of a main motion means that the assembly agrees not to do what the motion proposes. In the case of the rejection of a motion to adopt an agenda, the assembly would be agreeing not to adopt the proposed agenda as the order of business for the meeting. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 31, ll. 31-34; pp. 360-363.

I need to get this process clarified in my mind.

So..if the motion is lost or rejected (and the Agenda is not adopted as presented), what if anything can be a recourse? Can a Member introduce another motion for the Agenda with the added section of "public discussion".

So..if the motion is lost or rejected (and the Agenda is not adopted as presented), what if anything can be a recourse? Can a Member introduce another motion for the Agenda with the added section of "public discussion".

Like any other main motion, a motion to adopt an agenda at the beginning of a meeting is amendable. Take a look at RONR (10th ed.), §12, pp. 125ff.

While you would not have an adopted agenda, you would still be obligated to follow the organizations standard "Order of Business." The agenda itself would be open to the membership to decide.

Chris J.

Well, you would not have a motion to reject the agenda. You would, as I presume you always do, have a motion to adopt the agenda, on which you would vote No, this time. If you have not been adopting your agenda, then you have never actually had one!

Anyway, rather than rejecting the motion to adopt the agenda, why not just move to Amend the agenda to add back the section that used to be there?

Archived