The Official RONR Q & A Forums

re opening a tabled motion

Lilmiss

Hello

can some one direct me to the proper process of re opening a tabled motion. If possible direct me to past posts on

the subject.

Thank you so much!

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 289 for the details on untying the parliamentary world's most misused knot.

If the motion was, instead, postponed to a later time, it will come up at that time or the first appropriate time thereafter, or the assembly can bring it back early by a two-thirds vote.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 289 for the details on untying the parliamentary world's most misused knot.

If the motion was, instead, postponed to a later time, it will come up at that time or the first appropriate time thereafter, or the assembly can bring it back early by a two-thirds vote.

Thank you! I will check that.

The motion was tabled to correct verbiage and the meeting closed. I am being asked to open it via email.

Thank you very much for any help

The motion was tabled to correct verbiage and the meeting closed. I am being asked to open it via email.

Thank you very much for any help

Well, it appears not only was the wrong motion (to Table) used, but for the wrong purpose. You don't table a motion so you can change the wording of it. That can only happen during a meeting through the motion to Amend. (Section 12)

The use of tabling a motion is to temporarily put it aside to take up a more urgent matter that needs immediate attention. When the tabled motion is brought back to the floor (taken from the table) it is as it was when it was tabled, with no changes, so the assembly can pick up deliberations where they left off.

Some unseemly issues involved here.

And what's this about you being asked to "open" the meeting via email? You do meet in person, yes? Or are you handling your meetings through email communication?

Well, it appears not only was the wrong motion (to Table) used, but for the wrong purpose. You don't table a motion so you can change the wording of it. That can only happen during a meeting through the motion to Amend. (Section 12)

The use of tabling a motion is to temporarily put it aside to take up a more urgent matter that needs immediate attention. When the tabled motion is brought back to the floor (taken from the table) it is as it was when it was tabled, with no changes, so the assembly can pick up deliberations where they left off.

Some unseemly issues involved here.

And what's this about you being asked to "open" the meeting via email? You do meet in person, yes? Or are you handling your meetings through email communication?

Hi,

Please be patient with me as I am still learning this.

We tabled it due to we could not come up with correct verbiage and had other pressing things to get to.

We meet monthly via conference calls and annually in person.

Let me get to your suggested reading.

Thank you !

The motion was tabled to correct verbiage and the meeting closed.

The only purpose to Lay a motion on the Table (table) is to reach another item of business. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 201-210.

It should have been postponed, instead. See p. 172.

I am being asked to open it via email.

Then, I'll assume you're the president. The president has no authority to take a motion from the table. This is up to the assembly. Also, the business of a deliberative assembly cannot be conducted by e-mail, unless specifically authorized in the bylaws.

Hi,

Please be patient with me as I am still learning this.

We tabled it due to we could not come up with correct verbiage and had other pressing things to get to.

Let me get to your suggested reading.

Thank you !

Thank you for the additional information. It appears to me that the motion, Lay on the Table, was properly used, since "...[we] had other pressing things to get to." Most likely, the main motion, and all that adheres to it, will still be on the table at the next monthly meeting, and any member can move to Take from the Table when no other question is pending. This motion requires a second, is neither debatable nor amendable, and requires a majority vote for adoption. The effect of the adoption of Take from the Table is to place the main motion, and all that adheres to it, before the assembly in the same condition that it was in when laid on the table. See RONR (10th ed.), §34, pp. 289ff.

Thank you for the additional information. It appears to me that the motion, Lay on the Table, was properly used, since "...[we] had other pressing things to get to."

I'll go half-way with you on this in light of the "other pressing matters." But it does seem that the reason the tabled motion was put aside was to also effect some change in the verbiage that they could not agree on, which was apparently delaying attending to the other business.

I think it bears noting (again?) for Lilmiss, as you of course did, that the status of the motion language when tabled (including any adopted amendments and any still pending) must be retained when it is taken from the table. I'd be concerned about this item: "The motion was tabled to correct verbiage and the meeting closed." There should be no change (or "correction") to the verbiage between tabling and taking it off the table.

Well, that's actually not too bad for starters. The motion to Lay on the Table is correctly used to put a matter aside for more pressing business. But if you knew you were not going to get back to it at that same meeting, a more proper motion would be to Postpone it until the next meeting, or to Refer it to a committee.

As things stand, the motion to bring it again before the assembly is the motion to Take from the Table. But until it is taken from the table at the next meeting, you can't do anything to it formally before that.

I presume your bylaws authorize meetings via conference calls; otherwise you can't have them. Same goes even more so for e-mail, since you simply won't find matching rules in RONR that correspond to the way e-mail works, and would probably have to write your own, in considerable detail.

I am being asked to open it [a meeting] via email.

Needless to say, meeting via conference call and "meeting" via e-mail are entirely different and both would have to specifically authorized by your bylaws or they are prohibited (by RONR).

But if you knew you were not going to get back to it at that same meeting, a more proper motion would be to Postpone it until the next meeting, or to Refer it to a committee.

Both of those motions are debatable, so if the matters were especially pressing, they might take too long. The motion to Lay on the Table exists for a reason, and from the facts provided, it seems like it was actually used for that reason for a change.

Both of those motions are debatable, so if the matters were especially pressing, they might take too long. The motion to Lay on the Table exists for a reason, and from the facts provided, it seems like it was actually used for that reason for a change.

I agree.

One of those "rare" times when it's in order, and used for its intended purpose. I knew I'd live to see it. Well, truthfully, I had my doubts.

Archived