The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of President

Guest Pam C.

We were in An election year with the ballots already sent out, when the president of our club resigned and dropped out of the race. It was found that he had taken money from the club. As I said the ballots were mailed out and he was easily winning the election, even though most of the people knew about the indiscretion he was in the process of paying it back. The parent club stopped the election and awarded the presidency to his opponent was this a legal act? or should another Election have been put in place allowing someone else to run too? Or are we stuck with another president no one wants?

The parent club stopped the election and awarded the presidency to his opponent was this a legal act?

This was not proper, and I'm not clear why the parent club thinks it has any business doing anything with your elections.

or should another Election have been put in place allowing someone else to run too?

Another round of voting should have been held, since the candidate who won the election declined the position. Nominations could have been reopened by majority vote.

Or are we stuck with another president no one wants?

Unless the Bylaws of your club or the parent club actually support their unusual action, no, you are not stuck with their arbitrary declaration regarding the election.

We were in An election year with the ballots already sent out, when the president of our club resigned and dropped out of the race. It was found that he had taken money from the club. As I said the ballots were mailed out and he was easily winning the election, even though most of the people knew about the indiscretion he was in the process of paying it back. The parent club stopped the election and awarded the presidency to his opponent was this a legal act? or should another Election have been put in place allowing someone else to run too? Or are we stuck with another president no one wants?

The parent club stopped the election and awarded the presidency to his opponent was this a legal act?

Only if there is a bylaw rule that authorizes these actions.

or should another Election have been put in place allowing someone else to run too?

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 430, l. 11-13.

Or are we stuck with another president no one wants?

A majority is required to elect. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 426, l. 27-31.

As far as the general rules in RONR are concerned, no one who does not receive a majority vote wins an election. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 392, ll. 2-6.

No, that's ridiculous. The person in second place cannot possibly have a majority. But equally suspect is, how do you know who was "easily winning", since you should not have opened the ballots until the votes were all in?

Anyway, once voting has begun, nothing is supposed to interfere with it. But if the election was stopped, it's definitely incomplete. You need to hold an actual complete election, and I believe it would not be in order to count any of the ballots received for the first round of voting, since there was considerable interference in the voting process, and some substantial question about who was eligible for election, and it will not be possible to determine a majority.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, we have finally been able to get the parent club to get out of our governing by virtue of their own by laws which state that all affillate clubs shall govern themselves , my question then becomes about the president once she has been recognized by the the genenal assembly can we stiil remove her from office ? per page 17 of the ROR where the parent club used a custom to put her into offce.Being in conflict with parlementary authority and page 392,11.2-6 , and page 426,I.27-31

I am thinking we can still remove her due to the fact her appointment was and is illigitament as she did not win the election. Am I correct

OK, we have finally been able to get the parent club to get out of our governing by virtue of their own by laws which state that all affillate clubs shall govern themselves , my question then becomes about the president once she has been recognized by the the genenal assembly can we stiil remove her from office ? per page 17 of the ROR where the parent club used a custom to put her into offce.Being in conflict with parlementary authority and page 392,11.2-6 , and page 426,I.27-31

I am thinking we can still remove her due to the fact her appointment was and is illigitament as she did not win the election. Am I correct

The individual never actually became President (despite the delusions of the parent club), so you aren't actually "removing" anyone. The declaration by the parent club was meaningless. At the next meeting, you should continue the incomplete election by holding another round of balloting. You may need to raise a Point of Order and/or Appeal if the individual is also under the delusion that she is the President and tries to start chairing the meeting or something.

please send a reply quicky we really need an answer Pam

I agree with Josh. There's nothing to "remove" because all the actions purported to install this person were, in fact, null and void.

All you need to do is continue with the process of electing your own president as you were doing before you were so rudely interrupted.

Archived