The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Public comment before or after motion

Guest Joni

The order, colloquially phrased, is: Motion, Second, Placing the motion before the assembly, debate, putting the motion to a vote, announcing the result of the vote and ordering the action to take place (if adopted).

Where do you fit "public comment" in that list? This is something you'll need to decide, or look to other rules that govern this meeting for an answer.

Where do you fit "public comment" in that list? This is something you'll need to decide, or look to other rules that govern this meeting for an answer.

We had this problem and it made our meetings last forever.. as the Chair I just started reminding people that there was no debate unless a motion was called.

I find I have to keep reminding them, but it has been worth it.. meeting times have been halved and our "social hour" before the meetings is more social :)

An agenda item is presented. Does the Board member make a motion and second prior to or after public comment.

Thank you sincerely in advance for your help.

"Public comment" isn't part of normal parliamentary procedure. What is the public doing at your meetings in the first place? Are you some kind of a public body?

perhaps I misunderstood... in our club that was the definition of the membership "chewing" over a topic until someone called a motion.

In RONR-Land, "the public" generally refers to persons who are not members of the body that is meeting, though if the body is governmental, "the public" may have a right to attend and, in some situations, even speak, thanks to so-called "sunshine" or "open-meeting" laws.

perhaps I misunderstood... in our club that was the definition of the membership "chewing" over a topic until someone called a motion.

Well, Joni said this was a board meeting, not a membership meeting.

In general, if you're going to hear from guests during a board meeting, it's best to do it while no motion is pending. At that time, non-members (of the board) can be invited to speak, with the consent of the board (by majority vote).

However there are rules that non-members are not permitted to speak in debate, so once a motion is pending, you would have to Suspend the Rules to allow them to speak. That would take a 2/3 vote to allow it.

Well, Joni said this was a board meeting, not a membership meeting.

Well, not exactly. She referred to a Board member, but as we know, often times posters think that the Board is present at all meetings. It might have been a membership meeting. Perhaps Joni will be able to crash through the Gotcha and elaborate for us.

Archived