The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinding a vote

Guest Jane

Can a member rescind their vote following a meeting and ask that the meeting minutes reflect this?

No, votes cannot be "rescinded". A member can request that their vote be changed if they act immediately, but it's way to late for that now.

Was this a roll-call vote? Because if it was not, the minutes would not reflect how anyone voted.

Can you RONR-document "way too late for that now". Makes good sense but I don't find it in RONR. P. 395 doesn't do it.

I believe that the phrase "after that" on page 395 must surely mean within the same meeting. Unless a motion to Reconsider and Enter On the Minutes is made prior to adjournment, then any window of voting uncertainty should end with the final gavel, excepting, of course, continuing breaches of the rules (p. 244).

But no, I don't have a citation to support that, except to say that it would otherwise inevitably lead to human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Well, "nicely" until there is a fight when someone seriously wants to change his vote "way too late" in order to avoid liability, say, over something he voted for. Since OI # 2006-21 isn't part of the adopted parliamentary authority, and "after that" is about as open ended as you can get, he may well have a case.

Granted, it is unlikely that he'll get "unanimous consent" to make the change, and by the time the dust has settled, RONR/11 will be available with (I'll bet) the "after that" loophole closed off, but right now it appears to be a possibility.

Since OI # 2006-21 isn't part of the adopted parliamentary authority, and "after that" is about as open ended as you can get, he may well have a case.

No, but it is an Official Interpretation of the words contained in the parliamentary authority, and that's good enough for me (and any meeting in which I can object to unanimous consent).

I probably could not make an airtight case that would cut it quite as closely as the OI does, i.e., until the next business is taken up. But I submit that only a fool or a Congressman (but I repeat myself) would think it appropriate to allow every vote ever made in an assembly to remain in a potentially undecided state forever, subject to being switched back and forth every time a scant quorum found itself too sleepy to object to the practice.

Archived