The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest Robin Jacobs

My question is with regards to the topics which are permissible in an Executive Session of a BOD meeting. Are there restrictions about what topics can be discussed in an executive session? Are there parameters around what can or cannot be discussed in an Executive Session?

RONR contains NO restrictions on those topics. Some organizations conduct all their meetings in executive session. Your rules - either in your bylaws or applicable statutes may be different.

However, if someone says, e.g. "it's in the open meetings law", ask for a more definite citation or check it out yourself with the office of your state's secretary of state.

-Bob

My question is with regards to the topics which are permissible in an Executive Session of a BOD meeting. Are there restrictions about what topics can be discussed in an executive session? Are there parameters around what can or cannot be discussed in an Executive Session?

If you're a private society, no restrictions, in RONR or elsewhere. If you are a public (elected/appointed) body then "open public meetings" laws may indeed restrict you, but each state has their own version, so it's not possible to be specific, except to say: Check with your local legal adviser.

A motion to go into executive session is regularly a debatable main motion, so the merits can be fully argued before the motion is put to a vote.

Archived