The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary and minutes

Guest Sam

Hi all,

I have a question about the role of the secretary in introducing approval of minutes during a meeting. Can the secretary move the motion? I attended a meeting where the secretary moved the motion - then another board member moved the motion and it was seconded by a third member. Was the secretary wrong in moving the motion? if so, how should he have introduced the approval of minutes.

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

I have a question about the role of the secretary in introducing approval of minutes during a meeting. Can the secretary move the motion? I attended a meeting where the secretary moved the motion - then another board member moved the motion and it was seconded by a third member. Was the secretary wrong in moving the motion? if so, how should he have introduced the approval of minutes.

Thank you in advance.

Make a motion to approve the minutes is not necessary (though doing so is not improper). What should happen is the Secretary reads the minutes and the Chair asks if there are any corrections. If there are any corrections the Chair would ask if there is any objection to the correction and if not the correction stands or if there is an objection to the correction a vote is taken and majority rules. After there are no further corrections the Chair states the minutes approved (as corrected). See RONR pp. 456-457.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

It is best for the secretary to read the minutes and sit down.

Thank you both for your prompt responses. This might be obvious, but since I'm new at this I have to say that I don't quite understand what you mean by read the minutes - given that the minutes to previous board meetings can be lengthy. I appreciate your help in understanding this.

This might be obvious, but since I'm new at this I have to say that I don't quite understand what you mean by read the minutes - given that the minutes to previous board meetings can be lengthy.

Firstly, if the minutes are prepared properly (to include only what was done, not what was said), they shouldn't be lengthy.

Secondly, the reading of the minutes can be waived if the draft has been distributed to all members prior to the meeting and no member demands that they be read.

Thank you both for your prompt responses. This might be obvious, but since I'm new at this I have to say that I don't quite understand what you mean by read the minutes - given that the minutes to previous board meetings can be lengthy. I appreciate your help in understanding this.

We mean READ the minutes as in look at the paper and verbalize each word in order on the document. However, RONR p. 457 says if the minutes are distributed in advance they need not be read unless a member demands it (in which case it would be understandable for the Secretary to want to throw something at the member in question-though RONR probably discourages doing so :)).

Archived