The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation Letter

Guest Eileen Beighley

Guest Eileen Beighley

4 years ago a local pastor submitted his resigantion. The Board after some disccusion and considering his health put his letter aside to see if he would recover and be able to return to his position. Since then, the temporay pastor has continued his work and has move on. About 2 weeks ago a Board meeting was call with no agenda. Once I got there the meetings purpose was to vote on the letter of resination. I inquired if the pastor had been contacted , I was told that there was no need and that fact the the resignation was put on hold was out of order. The Board call to vote and excepted the pastors 4 year old resignation. I have inquired since and the pastor was never told of this meeting. I would love to hear some feedback?????

About 2 weeks ago a Board meeting was call with no agenda. Once I got there the meetings purpose was to vote on the letter of resination.

If this was a special (as opposed to regular) meeting, then no business may be transacted that does not confirm to the purpose described in the call of the meeting.

If there was no purpose stated, then no formal action can be taken at the meeting, and anything decided there is null and void, unless ratified by the board at a future, properly called, meeting.

Depends on what your bylaws say. A resignation, which is a request to be excused from duty, must be accepted. But it's not uncommon for church bylaws to state that the pastoral covenant can be terminated by either party with notice. Anything like that in yours? If so, it may govern. If RONR governs, it might not be too late, as Gary and George point out. The acceptance may be invalid.

Depends on what your bylaws say. A resignation, which is a request to be excused from duty, must be accepted. But it's not uncommon for church bylaws to state that the pastoral covenant can be terminated by either party with notice. Anything like that in yours? If so, it may govern. If RONR governs, it might not be too late, as Gary and George point out. The acceptance may be invalid.

Nothing stated in bylaws.

Well, you stated that a resignation requesting to be excused from duty must be accepted. This happened 4 years ago and that request was put on hold. How does that effort todays situation?

I was looking at p. 279, ll. 10-16.

But I suppose "tad" is progress?

Well, the only thing misleading about it would be cured by adding the words "or rejected"

But we're told in principles of interpretation that the right to approve always implies the right to reject.

So it was probably only a quarter of a tad.

Archived