The Official RONR Q & A Forums

excluding a voting member

Guest Kris

Is there a way to exclude a voting member of an organization using roberts rules of order? I have been told that there is, but given no details as to how.

After repeated warnings, an offender can be ejected from the meeting hall as the result of a disciplinary action. See RONR (10th ed.), §61, pp. 624ff.

Is there a way to exclude a voting member of an organization using roberts rules of order? I have been told that there is, but given no details as to how.

Unless he was guilty of being disruptive to the meeting, no. The right to attend meetings is a basic right of membership. You would have to have him expelled for some inappropriate act such as, oh, I don't know--such as trying to deny another member's basic rights of membership?

Is there a way to exclude a voting member of an organization using roberts rules of order?

Your motive or purpose isn't clear, but it sounds to me like you want to hold a meeting without this member present, for whatever reason. Maybe you could elaborate?

I have been told that there is, but given no details as to how.

I'd suggest when "someone" tells you something like this, ask for proof, especially if they say RONR says you can do it. When they fail to provide support for it, I'd be cautious of listening to what they tell you in the future, particularly if they provide no details or documentation. And if and when they do, come here and ask about it anyway. Couldn't hurt. :)

Archived