The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When a President Resigns

Guest Non Profit Dilema

Guest Non Profit Dilema

When a president of a non profit organization resigns because they are transferred out of the area,

can the board appoint them as past president and can they continue on the two year term as Past President.

Does the Board appoint a new interium president ? They wish to attend future meetings by computer online.

can the board appoint them as past president and can they continue on the two year term as Past President.

No. If your Bylaws define a "Past President" or "Immediate Past President" position, then by the simple dictionary definition of the term, the President automatically takes over that position when he resigns as President. If your Bylaws do not define such a position, your board can't just create the position.

Does the Board appoint a new interium president ?

No. Unless your Bylaws say otherwise, the Vice President automatically becomes President, and the board has no say in the matter. There is no such thing as an "interim President" unless your Bylaws define such a position. So far as RONR is concerned, someone is either President or not. There's no "interim" about it.

As for the resulting vacancy in the Vice President position, check what your Bylaws have to say about filling vacancies. If they're silent, the position is filled by the same body which elected the position to begin with, and previous notice is required for the election.

They wish to attend future meetings by computer online.

This is not permissible unless specifically authorized by your Bylaws.

No. If your Bylaws define a "Past President" or "Immediate Past President" position, then by the simple dictionary definition of the term, the President automatically takes over that position when he resigns as President. If your Bylaws do not define such a position, your board can't just create the position.

No. Unless your Bylaws say otherwise, the Vice President automatically becomes President, and the board has no say in the matter. There is no such thing as an "interim President" unless your Bylaws define such a position. So far as RONR is concerned, someone is either President or not. There's no "interim" about it.

As for the resulting vacancy in the Vice President position, check what your Bylaws have to say about filling vacancies. If they're silent, the position is filled by the same body which elected the position to begin with, and previous notice is required for the election.

I disagree. I believe that to attend by computer online could be permitted by an ordinary motion, but to actually participate as a voting member would require bylaws changes.

I disagree. I believe that to attend by computer online could be permitted by an ordinary motion, but to actually participate as a voting member would require bylaws changes.

Well, certainly voting would require a Bylaws change, and that is what I focused on. Other things would require an ordinary motion or a motion to Suspend the Rules.

Without a provision in the bylaws authorizing online meetings, there is nothing to attend.

It's my understanding that the desire is to have a single person attend online and everyone else meet in-person.

I believe that the only way to "attend" a meeting is to attend the meeting, unless "attend" is defined in some way other than being present. And I doubt that can be accomplished by an ordinary main motion.

When a president of a non profit organization resigns

because they are transferred out of the area, ...

Why someone resigns is of no parliamentary significance.

Let's assume, "The president has resigned."

Let's leave the reason out of the equation.

Can the board appoint them as past president ...

No.

1.) If you are using the term "past president" in the dictionary sense of the term, then THERE IS NOTHING TO APPOINT.

By dictionary definition, any president who resigns IS instantly and automatically a past president.

No appointment, by anyone, by anything, is necessary, as it is a meaningless gesture, and way too late, to boot. -- It was already a done deal, before you ever get that far.

2.) If you are using the term "past president" as if the term has a meaning in Robert's Rules of Order, then be aware that THERE IS NO SUCH THING. -- The Book never makes any mention of "past _____" or "immediate past _____".

Therefore, no page can be cited to prove what rules apply when creating a position which is unknown within any edition of Robert's Rules of Order.

The closest parliamentary object in Robert's Rules which might apply to newly-invented positions would be "a committee of one."

So, if you wish to have your resigned president serve as a committee-of-one in some task or whatnot, then you are free to do so.

• Be aware that you are NOT creating an officer position.

• Be aware that your resigned president is NOT a member of any board or committee (unless his resignation excluded those 2nd (and 3rd) positions when he submitted his resignation, which by itself is highly unlikely).

• Be aware that if your bylaws do not define the position of "past president", then you don't have such a position, except as you create one, as you would for any committee-of-one position, as any unique, undefined position.

Can they continue on the two year term as Past President.

If you have no defined position of "past president", then the answer is "No."

If you already have in place such a position as "past president", then follow your own unique rules, as there are none in Robert's Rules of Order for anything called "past president" or "immediate past president."

Remember, you have countless past presidents. But at any given time, you never have more than one immediate past president.

Thus my confusion as to why you are designating this resigned person as "past president" when you could have dozens of "past presidents" in the history of your organization. -- Why single this guy out? Why exclude your other "past presidents"?

Does the Board appoint a new interium president?

They wish to attend future meetings by computer online.

The succession of officers, ideally, is already laid out in your bylaws.

If your bylaws are SILENT as to "how to fill a vacancy", then to fill a vacancy, the body who elected the person to office is the body who does all the filling of vacancies for that office.

Q. Who elected this person as your president (before he resigned)?

THAT party is the party who fills vacancies for the office of president.

Q. Who elected this person as your president (before he resigned)?

THAT party is the party who fills vacancies for the office of president.

Well, that presumes that there is ever a vacancy in the office of president which, if the rules in RONR apply, will not ordinarily happen.

Upon acceptance of the president's resignation, the vice president became president, so the resulting vacancy is now in the vice presidency, unless the bylaws otherwise provide.

• 6 years later...
On 5/16/2011 at 8:05 AM, Josh Martin said:

What if the bylaws and governance manual do not speak to a case wherein the president resigns, but there already exists a president-elect. Does RRO dictate that the President-elect become the new president early?

• 3 years later...
57 minutes ago, Guest Question said:

Will it be the Vice President or the other candidate who ran to become president?

The vice-president. Defeated candidates never take any office. Next time please post as a new question. (I wish they would lock these old threads after a period of time.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.