The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3 vote

Guest deborah

My question is this---We have 22 members in our home owners association .We sent all members a certified letter, or delivered by hand with their signature a ballot for a vote [ our by-laws takes written votes].Only 11 members responded . 6 votes in favor and 5 votes against . The other 13 abastined from the vote [ they just didnt vote ] . Some whom were against the vote are saying this was an illegal vote because neither side had 2/3s vote.Well you cant make people vote. They received their ballot but decided not to vote. So please tell me is this a legal vote, as every one recieved a ballot but chose not to vote . How would the congress deal with this . Please enlighten me. Deborah Miller President of Lake Brooks land assocation .

My question is this---We have 22 members in our home owners association .We sent all members a certified letter, or delivered by hand with their signature a ballot for a vote [ our by-laws takes written votes].Only 11 members responded . 6 votes in favor and 5 votes against . The other 13 abastined from the vote [ they just didnt vote ] . Some whom were against the vote are saying this was an illegal vote because neither side had 2/3s vote.Well you cant make people vote. They received their ballot but decided not to vote. So please tell me is this a legal vote, as every one recieved a ballot but chose not to vote . How would the congress deal with this . Please enlighten me. Deborah Miller President of Lake Brooks land assocation .

If the item was one that needs a majority to pass, it passed; if one that takes 2/3 to pass, it failed. As to those complaining, ask them to cite exactly where they get their rule from.

See FAQ #6 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

Most motions only require a majority vote (of votes cast) to pass. There are others that may require a higher threshold, typically 2/3 or possibly a majority of the entire membership. Your rules may dictate this for certain votes, so you'd need to look there for any such requirement.

I'll assume the 13 who abstained were actually 11, so that the math adds up, but either way, abstentions don't count and have no effect on the vote except in some specific cases. So it's about how many yes and no votes were cast. You had 11, with more in favor (6) than opposed (5), thus a majority vote. To have a 2/3 vote, you would have needed 8 in favor.

And it's not that either side needs a 2/3 vote, only the affirmative side (with rare exceptions). If the vote required is 2/3, even if a majority vote in favor the motion is lost. You don't need 2/3 against to defeat the motion.

So, what was the motion you were voting on? And is there anything in your bylaws that says a 2/3 vote is required for it?

Archived