The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda

Guest Steve

A rule of order for this organization is that the president and or presiding officer may alter the order of business to expedite the business at hand. If the Agenda for a Regular Board Meeting is adopted with the time and expected length of time for discussion for each item of business listed with the Agenda, is the presiding officer expected/obligated to follow the time and amount of allocated time as adopted by the Agenda. Does adopting the Agenda in the fashion(usually unanimously)supercede the rule of order for altering the agenda. Is it implied that that rule of order for altering the agenda is being suspended? If the rule of order that the president may still alter the agenda, then does the amount of time allocated per subject matter as adopted by the agenda prevail?

A rule of order for this organization is that the president and or presiding officer may alter the order of business to expedite the business at hand. If the Agenda for a Regular Board Meeting is adopted with the time and expected length of time for discussion for each item of business listed with the Agenda, is the presiding officer expected/obligated to follow the time and amount of allocated time as adopted by the Agenda. Does adopting the Agenda in the fashion(usually unanimously)supercede the rule of order for altering the agenda. Is it implied that that rule of order for altering the agenda is being suspended? If the rule of order that the president may still alter the agenda, then does the amount of time allocated per subject matter as adopted by the agenda prevail?

You all adopted that rule of order so the ball is now in your court to determine how it interacts with adopting an agenda. See RONR pp. 570-573 for some help in interpreting your rules.

Your post says "...the president ... may alter the order of business to expedite the business..." This rule does give him/her only the right to alter the ORDER of business but not to impose new limits on debate. Also, IMHO, adopting an agenda with a column headed "expected length of time for discussion" (your words), does not rise to the level of limiting debate to that amount of time. Also, such action requires a 2/3 vote anyhow.

-Bob

Does adopting the Agenda in the fashion(usually unanimously)supercede the rule of order for altering the agenda. Is it implied that that rule of order for altering the agenda is being suspended? If the rule of order that the president may still alter the agenda, then does the amount of time allocated per subject matter as adopted by the agenda prevail?

It will be ultimately up to the assembly to determine if the special rule of order is meant to apply to special orders set for particular hours.

I think I disagree with Chris, but I will have to re-read Section 40 (heaven help my eyeballs) to really know what I think.

I think you want Section 41. I don't believe the section on Quorum will be of much use here.

It will be ultimately up to the assembly to determine if the special rule of order is meant to apply to special orders set for particular hours.

I think you want Section 41. I don't believe the section on Quorum will be of much use here.

I cannot imagine why reading Section 41 would help one know what he thinks. laugh.gif

Archived