The Official RONR Q & A Forums

officers election tie vote

sean

In the case of a tie vote between two candidates, neither was elected as neither received a majority of those present and voting. You had an "incomplete election" and should revote (as was done).

In the revote, one member abstained - as was his/her right - and one candidate then received a majority of those present and voting. The vote was 4-3 (not 4-3-1). The election was complete and, unless your bylaws say otherwise, the candidate should take office at that point.

-Bob

we had and election for officers and the vote for president was tied 4-4 the conductor of the election said we should revote but took his vote out thus making the vote 4-3-1. was this correct or what should have been done?

On the second ballot, the new president was elected by a majority (4-3) vote.

All is well.

In the case of a tie vote between two candidates, neither was elected as neither received a majority of those present and voting. You had an "incomplete election" and should revote (as was done).

In the revote, one member abstained - as was his/her right - and one candidate then received a majority of those present and voting. The vote was 4-3 (not 4-3-1). The election was complete and, unless your bylaws say otherwise, the candidate should take office at that point.

-Bob

Bob, that "1" might be an abstention.

we had and election for officers and the vote for president was tied 4-4 the conductor of the election said we should revote but took his vote out thus making the vote 4-3-1. was this correct or what should have been done?

After re-reading this, I now have the sense that what happened was:

The "conductor" of the election told the gathered assembly that what they should do is revote, but......... rather than do that, the "conductor" actually "took his vote out" (i.e. removed his ballot from the collection), altering the final count to 4-3(-1). Perhaps Sean will return to clarify.

After re-reading this, I now have the sense that what happened was:

The "conductor" of the election told the gathered assembly that what they should do is revote, but......... rather than do that, the "conductor" actually "took his vote out" (i.e. removed his ballot from the collection), altering the final count to 4-3(-1). Perhaps Sean will return to clarify.

Of course! Zebras!

Yes once the conductor removed his vote it swade the vote to the majority. We also had 3 others who were not allowed to vote per the bylaws due to no payment if monthly dues. Our bylaws also state that an officer only can serve 2 years and once the conductor removed his vote the sitting officer was reelected by majority.

Archived