The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When do you need to appeal a motion so it won't pass?

Guest Sarah C.

Hello All,

My Board of Trustees is going to try to give themselves a raise this next meeting. We are in a deficate of over $300K. How can the non-board members stop this? Would an appeal work? When would it have to be stated? Only the Board of Trustees' have a voting right.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Sarah C.

Hello All,[snip]

Hello, Sarah. Now then. Please start with Official Interpretation 2006-13, "COUNTERMANDING BOARD ACTION," at

http://www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2006_13 . It won't take long.

Back already? OK. Notice, first, that at board meetings, only members of the board have any rights (unless your bylaws, the law, or other superior rules say otherwise). Essentially, at a board meeting, non-board-members can't do anything.

Notice, next, that for the membership to be able to reverse a board's action, at their membership meeting, the action can still be un-done. If the board members have already received their checks, it is too late to un-do the action of sending them the checks.

Thank you Nancy for your help.

I looked through the FAQ but did not know that the "title" was Countermanding Board Action. Of course I feel silly with such a beginner or "easy" question but I guess that is what this forum is for.

I appreciate your help.

Sarah C.

Thank you Nancy for your help.

I looked through the FAQ but did not know that the "title" was Countermanding Board Action. Of course I feel silly with such a beginner or "easy" question but I guess that is what this forum is for.

I appreciate your help.

Sarah C.

You're welcome, and it's not a beginner's question -- that's why it's not in the FAQ, it's in the journeyman-level Official Interpretations. And it's also not a beginner's question because I'll bet it's not going to be easy at all.

I don't think it's clear from the original question whether it's a board meeting or a membership meeting. If the latter, the question David asks seems especially important. Further, we don't know the capacity/authorization this board has to act on behalf of the membership such that OI 13 can be accurately applied.

It is a Village meeting of the Board of Trustees. The resident's can come and speak but not vote, only the voting of the board is recognized. We are the resident's...don't we have a recouse if we do not like how they are running the town?

Sarah

Vote for someone else next time. Also, check for any applicable laws or rules that may grant the residents more rights than RONR does.

Thanks guys~I moved here after the vote. I guess I will look into other options and maybe just have to wait for the new vote.

Thanks again everyone.

Sarah C.

Archived