The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair of Nomination Committee

Guest Cyd

I was told that under Roberts Rules under duties of nomination committee, it specifically states that it is OK for someone on the Nomination Committee to nominate themselves. Is that so?

The report of the nominating committee should come from the committee, not just an individual member. However, an individual member can suggest that the nominating committee name him as a nominee. Also, he can nominate himself from the floor as an additional nominee.

How will the committee vote or discuss the best candidate for the position?

Being an idealist, I'm going to go with this: they will discuss the qualifications and merits of all possible candidates, those that have expressed an interest in being elected as well as those who haven't, and after careful consideration will select the best candidate for each open position. Of course, nothing prevents 'em from nominating their buddies and keeping the boys' club intact, so it's a wait and see game.

Being an idealist, I'm going to go with this: they will discuss the qualifications and merits of all possible candidates, those that have expressed an interest in being elected as well as those who haven't, and after careful consideration will select the best candidate for each open position. Of course, nothing prevents 'em from nominating their buddies and keeping the boys' club intact, so it's a wait and see game.

As far as I know, nothing prevents them from nominating multiple people for the same position. If they think that two people are equally qualified and feel that they should not choose one over the other, they could recommend both of those candidates, plus a buddy, and then let the assembly sort out the chaos.

Fifth printing? huh.gif

You can determine which printing you own by examining the bottom of the back side of the title page. Mine says, "8 9 10-03", indicating that I have the eighth printing. It turns out that there were some minor changes along the way. There used to be a list of these at the Robert's Rules website, but I can't find them, now.

You can determine which printing you own by examining the bottom of the back side of the title page. Mine says, "8 9 10-03", indicating that I have the eighth printing. It turns out that there were some minor changes along the way. There used to be a list of these at the Robert's Rules website, but I can't find them, now.

I have a copy of the corrections contained in the fifth (and subsequent) printings, if you'd like one.

Archived