The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Donna

The following was sent to me quoting that in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order: "Requesting, receiving, posting minutes before they are approved is illegal"

As a member of a local club, I requested that a "draft" of minutes be sent via e-mail (or any other private internet method) so that I could "review" the prior month's minutes before the next meeting since I would be unable to attend the next scheduled meeting and would like to advise of any "corrections". I checked and reviewed the club's bylaws and there is no reference to this particular issue. Many other similar clubs in the vicinity send "a draft of the minutes" to its membership for review prior to regularly scheduled meetings. Are all the other clubs "illegally" performing?

Thank you.

Donna

The following was sent to me quoting that in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order: "Requesting, receiving, posting minutes before they are approved is illegal"

That's rubbish. Ask them for the page and line number where RONR supposedly makes that rather astounding statement.

RONR certainly does not require that a request for draft minutes be honored, but many organizations do this routinely, to allow members the chance to review the minutes prior to the next meeting. And there is nothing wrong with the practice, if the assembly wants to do it that way. It would be my advice to clearly mark the draft minutes as DRAFT so that nobody confuses those copies with the final (potentially corrected and) approved version.

There is nothing "illegal" about sending out advance copies of the draft minutes (in fact RONR p. 457 addresses doing that exact same thing). However, under RONR the first time that a member has a right to examine the minutes (there is no right under RONR to copies of the minutes) is after they have been approved.

Archived