The Official RONR Q & A Forums

AGM Minutes

dlanor

I'm a member of the board of a condo complex. A condo owner has asked for the minutes of our last meeting, held about a month previous to the request and which she did not attend. The chair has said that she prefers that we do not supply the minutes as they are usually distributed with the notice the notice of the next AGM.

Our chair is canvassing board members about how they feel about the issue. I can think of reasons for deciding either way. Has anyone out there got the parliamentary answer?

Signed,

River

"Any member has a right to examine the minutes of the society at a reasonable time and place, but this privilege must not be abused to the annoyance of the secretary. The same principle applies to the minutes of boards and committees, their records being accessible to members of the boards or committees but to no others." RONR, p. 444

No rule in RONR requires the society to provide her a copy.

If I am reading the post correctly, what is being requested is not actually the minutes of the meeting, but a draft of the minutes. The draft of the minutes does not become "The Minutes" until approved.

Technicalities aside, shouldn't the board and officers of the condo association be very communicative to the owners of the condos who elected them? Holding back (or giving the appearance of holding back) information might lead an owner to think the board and officers have something to hide.

Technicalities aside, shouldn't the board and officers of the condo association be very communicative to the owners of the condos who elected them?

That sounds like a great idea, but the question here (as relates to this forum) is of the proper parliamentary procedure according to RONR. And I don't think there is anything there that says the condo owner has a right to a copy of the minutes, pre- or post-approval. Reviewing them post-, at the Secretary's convenience, okay. What the HOA rules say is another story, one that we hope we don't have to read here.

Technicalities aside, shouldn't the board and officers of the condo association be very communicative to the owners of the condos who elected them? Holding back (or giving the appearance of holding back) information might lead an owner to think the board and officers have something to hide.

There are other ways of communicating (personal conversations, lively and informative newsletters, e-mails, etc) besides furnishing documents upon request. That's a different issue.

Archived