The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Publishing Minutes

BWatson

If "publish" means make available to the public, an open website would seem to fill the bill.

Or are you working from a differing definition of "publish"?

I am responding to the question asked, which is whether or not it constitutes "Publishing the Minutes" of the HOA according to RONR. The answer is no.

Since RONR/10 doesn't appear to define "publish" (p. 458) one can only turn to a dictionary.

I am sure HMR the 1st had a different definition of "publish" in mind - the available ways to deliver information to the public were limited in 1876 with respect to current methods, but the root meaning still means "make available to the public".

My suggestion is way too late now, but RONR should only tell me the minimum content of minutes, and what to do with them -- those are parliamentary issues -- and not attempt to tell folks what to include in addition (or edition?) as they may wish.

Since RONR/10 doesn't appear to define "publish" (p. 458) one can only turn to a dictionary.

I am sure HMR the 1st had a different definition of "publish" in mind - the available ways to deliver information to the public were limited in 1876 with respect to current methods, but the root meaning still means "make available to the public".

My suggestion is way too late now, but RONR should only tell me the minimum content of minutes, and what to do with them -- those are parliamentary issues -- and not attempt to tell folks what to include in addition (or edition?) as they may wish.

Well, let's see if you are satisfied with the new edition's treatment of the subject. :)

Sir,Our webite is open to renters who are not owners and who have no legal ownership in the HOA.Does that constitute as public.They are also copied and mailed to them. I also refered to the dictionary because for the meaning of publish since RONR does not make it clear.

YET.....wait a month.

Sir,Our webite is open to renters who are not owners and who have no legal ownership in the HOA.Does that constitute as public.They are also copied and mailed to them. I also refered to the dictionary because for the meaning of publish since RONR does not make it clear.

Your question, as I understand it, is whether or not what you say your HOA is doing means that its minutes are being "published" within the meaning of that term as used in RONR, 10th edition, on page 458. My answer is no, it does not.

Archived