The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of A President

Guest jsl3824

Our board consists of 12 directors which are elected by the general membership, there are 6 of these that are the elected by the 12 to hold Officers positions, President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, Athletic Director and Spirit Director. my questions are:

1. if an officer is removed form the officer position but still remains on the board does Roberts Rules state the proceedure on how to fill the removed officers position.

2. does Roberts rule cover the issue of a director holding more than one officer seat.

1. Presumably you then have a vacancy in the particular office. Your bylaws may well tell you how to fill vacancies. If the president was removed, the vice president automatically becomes (became) president. If your bylaws are silent for other offices, you hold elections to fill the vacancies.

2. Yes. RONR says that is OK. But he gets only one vote.

1. Presumably you then have a vacancy in the particular office. Your bylaws may well tell you how to fill vacancies. If the president was removed, the vice president automatically becomes (became) president. If your bylaws are silent for other offices, you hold elections to fill the vacancies.

2. Yes. RONR says that is OK. But he gets only one vote.

the vp was removed from the board completly several weeks prior to the president so there was no vp seated when the president was removed from being president but not the board.

my concern is that by holding the seats of athletic director and President the chain of command is breached. football issues go to the AD if not solved they go to the President which is the same person.

my concern is that by holding the seats of athletic director and President the chain of command is breached. football issues go to the AD if not solved they go to the President which is the same person.

That doesn't change the fact that there is no rule in RONR that says this person can't hold both positions.

ok I get it he can hold both positions no problem there. but what about the chain of command as stated in our by laws that if not resolved by the AD it goes to the President which is the same person. so if the issue is not relsoved by the AD or is resolved by the ad and the complaintant is not satisfied with the answer they have nowhere elst to turn. the complaint is dead as he is also the president. there is no due process here.

I'm afraid that problems with your bylaws are for you (all) to sort out.

We deal only with RONR (enough of a problem at times) here.

If you anticipate that you might

have continuing parliamentary

difficulties or problems you

might want to get in touch with

a real live professional

parliamentarian in your area

(not virtual ones like us)

for consultations.

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850