The Official RONR Q & A Forums

elections and natural disaster

charinmass

We have an unusual situation that we need a little advice with. Our mobile home park was hit with a flood that has left us all homeless and scattered around recently. Our election was to be held this week but we are unable to gather enough people as we are still trying to get contact numbers of our members and help them find shelter.We are not even sure if the park will be reopening.Common sense would seem that in this disaster that if we dont get a meeting together the officers would carry on until we have things under some control. But we want to go by Roberts Rules so it doesnt come back to bite us later by naysayers. Any ideas of what we should do...thank you

We have an unusual situation that we need a little advice with. Our mobile home park was hit with a flood that has left us all homeless and scattered around recently. Our election was to be held this week but we are unable to gather enough people as we are still trying to get contact numbers of our members and help them find shelter.We are not even sure if the park will be reopening.Common sense would seem that in this disaster that if we dont get a meeting together the officers would carry on until we have things under some control. But we want to go by Roberts Rules so it doesnt come back to bite us later by naysayers. Any ideas of what we should do...thank you

What members are able to do so should meet on the day and at the time and place provided in the assembly's rules. If there is a quorum, the assembly can proceed to the election in the normal way. If there is not a quorum, the assembly should adjourn to meet again on a later day or week.

Whether the current officers remain in office beyond the normal day for the elections depends on the wording of the bylaws concerning their terms of office.

What members are able to do so should meet on the day and at the time and place provided in the assembly's rules. If there is a quorum, the assembly can proceed to the election in the normal way. If there is not a quorum, the assembly should adjourn to meet again on a later day or week.

Whether the current officers remain in office beyond the normal day for the elections depends on the wording of the bylaws concerning their terms of office.

thank you..our bylaws state that the president, vice president,sec,treasurer and board members shall hold office for a term of 2 years or (and) until their successors are elected. It also states that meetings of the assoc shall be held on a quarterly basis on the second Mon. of the month unless otherwise directed by the Board of directors. I think I just answered my own question..sorry the flood just happened a week ago and my brain isnt quite up to par...thank you for the help

thank you..our bylaws state that the president, vice president,sec,treasurer and board members shall hold office for a term of 2 years or (and) until their successors are elected. It also states that meetings of the assoc shall be held on a quarterly basis on the second Mon. of the month unless otherwise directed by the Board of directors. I think I just answered my own question..sorry the flood just happened a week ago and my brain isnt quite up to par...thank you for the help

"...or (and)..." presents a problem, since which rule applies depends on one or the other.

I don't see any problem, in this case. The current officers serve "until their successors are elected," and the conjunction does not change that (see pp. 556-7).

If would be acceptable to call the meeting to order, and with the consent of the majority to adjourn this meeting to a specific future time. The motion Fix Time To Which To Adjourn may be adopted even if there is no quorum (pp. 336-7). That motion sets the time when you will return and continue the meeting (p. 234 ff.).

Archived