The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR or older version and why so?

gregory

Hi All, My Local Union bylaws states that "Article V(j) Membership Meetings shall be governed by “Robert’s Rules of Order Revised”.

I have proposed a bylaw amendment that reads, I move to delete Article V ( j ) and replace with. “ The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern our Membership Meetings in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules or order or working rules the membership may adopt subject to our International Constitution, any applicable State or Federal law”

My question is, when I speak in favor of adopting this bylaw, I want to speak to the benefits of RONR as compared to the Roberts Rules or Order revised.

How do I compare the two. What "MAJOR" differences are there. Does RR newly revised have any "glaring" downsides that I can bring up?

Any insight is appreciated.

The suggested wording of the bylaws to adopt RONR is "The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Society in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules of order the Society may adopt."

Note that your proposal restricts it authority to Membershp Meetings. Do you want to do that?

The current edition should be chosen because it is the only edition that is current. RONR is updated about every decade to allow for changes in the way organizations operate. Your organization should take advantage of that. If there is a part of RONR that does not work well for you, then you can amend your bylaws or adopt a special rule of order to have the type governance you want.

-Bob

The last edition of "Revised" was published in 1951. Sixty years ago. Would your group feel comfortable seeing a doctor whose medical texts were that old? :huh:

Robert and David, I want to speak about this in the next meeting, but I need to be correct, is it correct to say that Roberts Rules of Order, Revised is out of print? I couldn't find it in any book store. Is it correct to say, you can't buy it. Are there used versions of 60 year old RR out there? But what about the meat of the matter. Is there any glaring change in the two versions? I need help.

Robert and David, I want to speak about this in the next meeting, but I need to be correct, is it correct to say that Roberts Rules of Order, Revised is out of print? I couldn't find it in any book store. Is it correct to say, you can't buy it. Are there used versions of 60 year old RR out there? But what about the meat of the matter. Is there any glaring change in the two versions? I need help.

I am sure that you could find it in a used book store or in the public library (under antique texts :D). I will let the others (who may have lived when the 6th Edition was the current Edition :lol:) tell you about any glaring changes between it and the 10th Editions.

Hi All, My Local Union bylaws states that "Article V(j) Membership Meetings shall be governed by “Robert’s Rules of Order Revised”.

I have proposed a bylaw amendment that reads, I move to delete Article V ( j ) and replace with. “ The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern our Membership Meetings in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules or order or working rules the membership may adopt subject to our International Constitution, any applicable State or Federal law”

My question is, when I speak in favor of adopting this bylaw, I want to speak to the benefits of RONR as compared to the Roberts Rules or Order revised.

How do I compare the two. What "MAJOR" differences are there. Does RR newly revised have any "glaring" downsides that I can bring up?

Any insight is appreciated.

I'd say that your Local Union bylaws now mean what you want them to say.

You can buy it used on Amazon for as low as $8.87. And if you're looking for support here in retaining the Sixth edition for use as your PA, when release of the Eleventh is less than a month away, I'd be sure to keep breathing. (He says as he takes his Ford Zephyr-Zodiac to the Esso station to get a .20 gallon of gas.)

Archived