The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Running for officer / re-election

Guest FARMERSDAUGHTER

Guest FARMERSDAUGHTER

When someone is re-running for a position in the board as the nomination director or for that matter running for any position on the board. Is is appropaite for them to seat on the Ballot/Election committee handling the blaoots. commom sence would say no. However is there anything in RRO that will help with this issue?

When someone is re-running for a position in the board as the nomination director or for that matter running for any position on the board. Is is appropaite for them to seat on the Ballot/Election committee handling the blaoots. commom sence would say no. However is there anything in RRO that will help with this issue?

See RONR (10th ed.), p. 419, l. 27-33, and p. 400, l. 12-20. It may change your view.

See RONR (10th ed.), p. 419, l. 27-33. It may change your view.

It wouldn't change my view since p. 419 deals with the nominating committee, not the "Ballot/Election" committee - which sounds like the Tellers to me.

And since the Tellers are appointed by the chairman (p. 400) F'sD's beef is with the Chair, not anything in RONR.

I agree that it would look bad to have one of the candidates counting the ballots, but (I think) RONR doesn't forbid that.

Guest FARMERSDAUGHTER

It wouldn't change my view since p. 419 deals with the nominating committee, not the "Ballot/Election" committee - which sounds like the Tellers to me.

And since the Tellers are appointed by the chairman (p. 400) F'sD's beef is with the Chair, not anything in RONR.

I agree that it would look bad to have one of the candidates counting the ballots, but (I think) RONR doesn't forbid that.

Guest farmersdaughter

OOps sorry... We dont have a Teller ( I tried to get them to rename the nomination director last yr but board voted it down saying we dont need one) So the nomination director "just takes it upon herself" to be in charge of the election. She is up for re-election this year. At first she was ok with not handling the ballots , until she found out "we" audited the membership list prior to sending out the ballots ( which calls for the committee to do prior to the election which they have NEVER done). We found 15 members that had passed away and no longer could recieve a ballot , 112 members that had not paid their dues which would not be getting a vote. And 56 members who paid their dues late or had a violation. We had placed all the extra ballots and the seal in a locked ballot box. Now the nomination director cut off the lock and sent out the ballots that were determined inelliageble. I have buried my nose in the RRO to the point i feel crossed eyed!!! Someone help me with just anything we can stand on to stop this behavior!!!

I have buried my nose in the RRO to the point i feel crossed eyed!!! Someone help me with just anything we can stand on to stop this behavior!!!

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929

Fax: 816-833-3893;

e-mail: hq@NAP2.org

www.parliamentarians.org

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians

550M Ritchie Highway #271

Severna Park, MD 21146

Phone: 888-664-0428

Fax: 410-544-4640

aipparl.org

for a reference or information.

There are also individuals out there that are truly expert parliamentarians, but not members of either group. I don't know of a list or ranking of them.

I was already certain it wouldn't change your view. ;)

The reference speaks to the general philosophy of a member serving on a committee in regards to an election to which he is a candidate. I don't know what the responsibilities of farmersdaughter's ballot/election committee are, nor so I know what is expected of a nomination director.

Guest farmersdaughter

The reference speaks to the general philosophy of a member serving on a committee in regards to an election to which he is a candidate. I don't know what the responsibilities of farmersdaughter's ballot/election committee are, nor so I know what is expected of a nomination director.

Guest farmersdaughter

Our ballot/election committee duites occuring to our by-laws are , to verify the membership list , sending out ballots by Sept 1st. Have clubhouse open for for ballots drop off and to collect the mail in ballots and place them in the ballot box. To count and certifiy the results to the executive committee.

A small group of the membership is pushing on site voting however the President states we have to have a special meeting for just that admendment of the by-laws. I say it can be with the special meeting already planned for the admendeds to the by-laws

Again we dont have a TELLER we only have a nomination director , because the current board see no need to add a Teller... We plan to call for the dismissal of the nomination director at the first meeting after the election as her job is complete. We will have a fight however RRO is on our side... HOwever a board of OLD SCHOOL BOARD is tuff to overcome....

Please read the rest of your bylaws - for yourself, that is.

Amendments usually require some advance notice - check the bylaws to see how much.

Unless your bylaws have VERY unusual provisions, you cannot add items to the agenda of an already noticed special meeting.

It will be up to you, collectively, to change your bylaws to separate the "Election Committee", Nominating Committee, and Teller jobs -- recommended that you do.

Archived