The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approving minutes upon which there is disagreement of content

Learner

Hello,

I could not find anything in Roberts Rules of Order about this. When it comes time to approve the minutes of meeting, what happens if there is disagreement and a stalemate about some of the points in the draft minutes?

For example, do minutes ever contain both versions of what happened or an attachment stating the objections to some of the content?

Thanks.

No. The points of disagreement are decided by majority vote, and that's what will be in the approved minutes. The problem rarely occurs when the minutes only contain what was DONE at a meeting, rather than what was said. See RONR, p. 451ff . If you're disagreeing over what was said.........delete it all.

Thanks, George and Tim. This must be the clause that applies: "Corrections, if any, and approval of the minute are normally done by unanimous consent."

Is voting on the content of the minutes limited to board members, or can homeowners who attended the meeting in question also vote?

Also, is there any recourse for situations where two of the three board members are in cahoots with one another, no other homeowners were present at the board meeting in question, and the two board members in cahoots refuse to correct the minutes even if audio notes of the meeting prove the corrections should be made?

Thanks, George and Tim. This must be the clause that applies: "Corrections, if any, and approval of the minute are normally done by unanimous consent."

Is voting on the content of the minutes limited to board members, or can homeowners who attended the meeting in question also vote?

Also, is there any recourse for situations where two of the three board members are in cahoots with one another, no other homeowners were present at the board meeting in question, and the two board members in cahoots refuse to correct the minutes even if audio notes of the meeting prove the corrections should be made?

The board approves minutes of the board meetings, so only board members can vote on the approval.

There is no recourse for a board member being out voted. However, if you feel that board members are derelict in their duties, see FAQ#20.

Thanks, Tim.

Can I, as a board member, mention my objection to the board minutes in question at an annual meeting, perhaps even state that I see what happened as a dereliction of duty or breach of fiduciary duty? One of those board members in cahoots with the other will be up for reelection at our next annual meeting. It seems to be that homeowners have the right to hear about the problem.

Can I, as a board member, mention my objection to the board minutes in question at an annual meeting, perhaps even state that I see what happened as a dereliction of duty or breach of fiduciary duty? One of those board members in cahoots with the other will be up for reelection at our next annual meeting. It seems to be that homeowners have the right to hear about the problem.

It sounds here as if you're talking about objecting to what was done, as opposed to objecting to the manner in which the minutes were written. That's a different ballgame.

TC:

My error. I mean to say "what happened to the minutes" and was not referring to anything else. The minutes do not reflect what was done at the meeting.

For example, there is a short paragraph in the minutes that is pure fiction. It reflects events that happened some weeks after the board meeting. This does not belong in the minutes. It was added to the minutese as a justification for spending HOA funds.

Can I, as a board member, mention my objection to the board minutes in question at an annual meeting...

If you can find some topic during the meeting where such a comment would be germane, I suppose so.

perhaps even state that I see what happened as a dereliction of duty or breach of fiduciary duty?

No. This would be a violation of decorum. If you truly believe that this is a "dereliction of duty or breach of fiduciary duty," you should either make a motion to censure or initiate more severe disciplinary procedures. See FAQ #20.

For example, there is a short paragraph in the minutes that For example, there is a short paragraph in the minutes that is pure fiction. It reflects events that happened some weeks after the board meeting. This does not belong in the minutes. It was added to the minutese as a justification for spending HOA funds.

If the board members are intentionally fabricating the minutes, this is a serious concern and I would strongly consider disciplinary action.

Archived