The Official RONR Q & A Forums

As Chair, can I alter the agenda?

Guest Carol Diane

I sent out a draft Agenda. Due to some circumstances, I'd like to alter the agenda and call the meeting short (and not deal with the agenda items until some issues are resolved with the board). Can I call the meeting to order, make a statement and end the session? Or, do I need to allow for discussion, etc.?

Can I call the meeting to order, make a statement and end the session?

No.

Or, do I need to allow for discussion, etc.?

Well, you would not need to allow for discussion as the privileged motion to Adjourn is not debatable, but you would need to allow for a vote. You do not have the power to unilaterally end the meeting. Majority rules. Additionally, if this is a large assembly (more than about a dozen members), you really shouldn't be making motions in the first place.

Lastly, if the assembly does decide to continue with the meeting, keep in mind that your draft agenda is not binding upon the assembly unless and until it is adopted by the assembly. Majority rules.

No.

Well, you would not need to allow for discussion as the privileged motion to Adjourn is not debatable, but you would need to allow for a vote. You do not have the power to unilaterally end the meeting. Majority rules. Additionally, if this is a large assembly (more than about a dozen members), you really shouldn't be making motions in the first place.

Lastly, if the assembly does decide to continue with the meeting, keep in mind that your draft agenda is not binding upon the assembly unless and until it is adopted by the assembly. Majority rules.

I concur with Josh - you cannot unilaterally adjourn the meeting or make changes to the Agenda once it is approved. However, you can offer amendments to the propsed Agenda, call the meeting to order and then move to Adjourn (unless there are more than a dozen members), or once the Agenda is accepted, simply move that an issue be postponed to a definite time (i.e. the next meeting.)

I sent out a draft Agenda. Due to some circumstances, I'd like to alter the agenda and call the meeting short (and not deal with the agenda items until some issues are resolved with the board). Can I call the meeting to order, make a statement and end the session? Or, do I need to allow for discussion, etc.?

Take a careful look at the answer to FAQ #14, at http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#14

Archived