The Official RONR Q & A Forums

when should agenda's be sent out?

Guest Chris P

Our group meets once a month for a meeting. Our chair sends out agenda's prior to the meeting anywhere from 2 days to the day of. Is there a rule as to when agenda's should be sent out? Several of us would like the agenda about a week in advance so we can inform the chair of any additions or changes.

Thanks,

Chris

Ok thanks I wasn't sure. I have a book called "Call to Order" by Herb Perry. Last Print 2001. Under Agenda's it says "Ideally, a tentative agenda should accompany the notice of meeting to provide members with time to consider or research the items to be dealt with. "

I was just hoping that this also came under Robert's Rules.

Ok thanks I wasn't sure. I have a book called "Call to Order" by Herb Perry. Last Print 2001. Under Agenda's it says "Ideally, a tentative agenda should accompany the notice of meeting to provide members with time to consider or research the items to be dealt with. "

I was just hoping that this also came under Robert's Rules.

Mr. Perry is entitled to his opinion, of course, but many organizations regularly transact their business without an agenda (adopted or just for information), and they do just fine. Nothing in RONR requires or prohibits the mailing to members of an agenda or memorandum of the order of business.

Is there a rule as to when agenda's should be sent out? Several of us would like the agenda about a week in advance so we can inform the chair of any additions or changes.

No, but the assembly can adopt such a rule if it wishes. Keep in mind that the assembly can also make additions or changes at the meeting itself, when the agenda is pending for approval.

Archived